Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
ok i couldnt get apache 2.0 to work (came with mandrake 9.1) so i installed 1.3.27 (actually got it to install woohoo) heres the thing i can see the page ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

2 weeks of trying to get this to work

ok i couldnt get apache 2.0 to work (came with mandrake 9.1) so i installed 1.3.27 (actually got it to install woohoo)

heres the thing
    i can see the page if i type http://localhost but no one else can see it on the outside

i know my LAN IP is 192.168.0.3

i have a netgear fr 314 router and its set to allow ports 80, 8080 8000 (tryin em all) to go out via my lan IP yet it doesnt work....im gettin really ticked here. i have also configured the httpd.conf file to those different ports (one at time) restarted and still no one could connect (thought maybe my isp was blocking port 80

Can anyone help??

Linux Engineer
    Make sure your router is forwarding port 80 to your machine and make sure you have them connect to your router ip and not your internal one.

Linux User
    I have this experience as well, there, you are not alone. Kinda busy learning basic Linux stuff lately, so I just ignore it, Gonna try it again this weekend.

I think there is an option called NAT in yr routher or server. try and config it. make it forward the global IP to yr apache server's network IP.
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Port Forwarding is the key here.
    I got a question relating to NAT regarding ports since we are on this topic. I too have a router and I forward some ports (let's say 80 for this case). Now, what I'd like to understand is, how does improve security? I'm thinking since port 80 is open, the system is still vulnerable.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux User
    I once thought of security, but well, the first thing for me is to get my damn server up, dun give a crap about who is gonna mess around with my system!! sorry about my words, but, sometimes I just gone mad when trying to set it up!

Just Joined!
    ok i did something and i cannot start apache anymore i get this error message

Looking up localhost
    Making HTTP connection to localhost
    Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host.

lynx: Can't access startfile http://localhost/server-status

Linux User
    What have you done?

Just Joined!
    ....i wish i knew

this sucks i hate not being able to fix computer problems.

Linux User
    LOL. are you sure it is actually running? If you are using proxy, stop using it.

Just Joined!
    it tells me that apache isnt running. i run apachectl start and it seems to work but when i do apachectl extendedstatus thats where that msg comes up. i checked all my processes running too and its not running.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast