Find the answer to your Linux question:
Bear with me; I am new to Linux. We are trying to setup email servers on 2 Linux servers for class (The instructor has no issue with us getting help ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Postfix issue

Bear with me; I am new to Linux.

We are trying to setup email servers on 2 Linux servers for class (The instructor has no issue with us getting help from forums).

We did a clean install of Ubuntu and then at the instructor's recommendation, we installed Webmin to help with management.

We decided to use Postfix for our email server and arew attempting to send mail using an IP address instead of a domain. We can send and receive email from one account to another locally, and we can send email to an outside account, but we can not receive email from an outside account.

Anyone have any ideas on what we may have done wrong or were we can go from here?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by DMPug View Post
    Bear with me; I am new to Linux.

We are trying to setup email servers on 2 Linux servers for class (The instructor has no issue with us getting help from forums).

We did a clean install of Ubuntu and then at the instructor's recommendation, we installed Webmin to help with management.

We decided to use Postfix for our email server and arew attempting to send mail using an IP address instead of a domain. We can send and receive email from one account to another locally, and we can send email to an outside account, but we can not receive email from an outside account.

Anyone have any ideas on what we may have done wrong or were we can go from here?
    1. update MX record for the domain
    2. forward smtp port #25 to your mail server
    3. run smtp test with mxtoolbox.com

Just Joined!
    So we will still need a MX record even though we don't have a domain and everything for the most part is going to be running within a classroom over switches?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close