Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

What's the difference between a "server mobo" and a normal one?

...motherboards.....is there any?

(is there any reason the Chinese stuff can't be put into a data centre?)

Thanks.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I would be leery of "no name" manufacturers for security reasons. Major manufacturers are usually more thoroughly vetted to be free of viruses and spyware (such as Lenovo who recently purchased IBM's server division). Myself, I like Intel server mobos, though they are more expensive. My current system (custom built) uses an Intel server/workstation motherboard. It has been running about 7 years without major problems.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

... so the cooling is never a factor? like, the fans are arranged for airflow to be optimal in a rackmount orientation or something?

...sorry, the motherboard is thoroughly vetted to be free of viruses and spyware? what the hell are you talking about?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    -->
    Re. viruses et al.
    It is possible for the motherboard bios and firmware to have spyware installed in them which will infect the system when powered on. There can also be other chips on the board with such critters, which can be VERY difficult to detect.

A motherboard generally has no fans for cooling. That is dependent upon the case and/or rack gear. Often, the CPU will have a fan attached, and generally the blade/case will have fans to cool RAM and the rest of the board.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!