Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I've been able to access the website at my .com address but cannot access the FTP site whether it from a web browser or by creating a new network place ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I've been able to access the website at my .com address but cannot access the FTP site whether it from a web browser or by creating a new network place within Windows. Both operations time out. This is quite frustrating as I can't figure what the problem could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just Joined!
    Are you still having this problem? I just got it working, so maybe I can help...

Just Joined!
    Yeah, still having problems. Can't access the FTP site via my webpage or using MS My Networks outside of my home network. I'm using Smart FTP to access outside of my network as temporary method as oppose to using the command line. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Just Joined!
    id love to see a solution also ..i use vsftpd ..i can open a windows shell and ftp the site , but cant ftp via a browser ......

Quote Originally Posted by nupe494
    I figured out why all of my computer couldn't access the ftp server internally; needed to add the line pasv_promiscuous=yes. However, I'm still having a problem with outside users gaining access even though they have the password and username. They're getting access denied, may not have permission to access the folder. Any suggestions?
    change that! You do not want it working in promiscuous mode. If you changed that to make it work something else is wrong - if you get it working externally you will be hacked in a matter of minutes with that enabled.
    It should work internally if you have a username and password. There is a line that says allow anonymous = yes. change that to no and all the users that have accounts on the box will be able to ftp but no one else. FtP is the easiest hack out there and I guaranty that if you allow anonymous and/or promiscuaous you will be owned.

Just to let you know I have a ftp server that is on the net. It is not behind any firewalls the only configs I changed was the anonymous to no and I can ftp from IE(IE is the only browser that allows me to do it and this is the only thing I use IE for). I don't even have to add aport number
    ftp://mydomain.com or ftp://MyIpaddress
    both works.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline
    Quote Originally Posted by nupe494
    I figured out why all of my computer couldn't access the ftp server internally; needed to add the line pasv_promiscuous=yes. However, I'm still having a problem with outside users gaining access even though they have the password and username. They're getting access denied, may not have permission to access the folder. Any suggestions?
    change that! You do not want it working in promiscuous mode. If you changed that to make it work something else is wrong - if you get it working externally you will be hacked in a matter of minutes with that enabled.
    It should work internally if you have a username and password. There is a line that says allow anonymous = yes. change that to no and all the users that have accounts on the box will be able to ftp but no one else. FtP is the easiest hack out there and I guaranty that if you allow anonymous and/or promiscuaous you will be owned.

Just to let you know I have a ftp server that is on the net. It is not behind any firewalls the only configs I changed was the anonymous to no and I can ftp from IE(IE is the only browser that allows me to do it and this is the only thing I use IE for). I don't even have to add aport number
    ftp://mydomain.com or ftp://MyIpaddress
    both works.
    Anonymous is set to no.

IE times out when it tries to connect to my ftp server. Still not sure why I can't get it to work. It seems like it should be simple.

Just Joined!
    Hi to all,
    I know its very old subject, but I have same problem, and I haven't found any solutions to my problem , finally I have found a subject ,that includes people have same problem as me, please if you found the slution write here,
    I can login with browser in the network but when I try to access from outside , it gives same errors written above, I can access ftp with windows cmd, putty (psftp) from outside, but when I try to connect browser from outside it gives connection time out( be sure you have permissions ..) such these errors ,, pls you have any idea , write

Thanks in advance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2