Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Is it possible to access the FTP using a web browser? Or is it strictly text based and not compatible with any current browser? I've tried connecting to my server ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Viewing FTP (running VSFTP) Site

Is it possible to access the FTP using a web browser? Or is it strictly text based and not compatible with any current browser?

I've tried connecting to my server via Mozzilla and IE (ftp://....) and both timeout. However, if I ftp to it from the command prompt, it works perfectly. Are there things that need to be set in the vsftpd.conf file inorder to ftp to it from a browser?

What's interesting is that I can create a new network place (ftp in this case) and connect to it at least from inside my network. However, IE nor Mozzilla will connect. Outside of the network, I can't connect at all.

I've tried enabling passive mode (pasv_address) with no success.

I'm running RedHat 9. xinetd is enabled but not currently pointing to VSFTP.

Linux Engineer
    You can get access to an ftp server using something like Kbear, or any other ftp client.
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by UgoDeschamps
    You can get access to an ftp server using something like Kbear, or any other ftp client.
    Most of the folks that will need access to my ftp will not have access or maybe even the expertise to use any unix/linux based apps (or any ftp type apps). It would be ideal if they could either create a new network location in Windows (in this case an FTP site) which I was able to sucessfully do from within my network or access the ftp via a web browser. Using the command prompt to gain access to theserver won't be ideal for these users.

Linux Engineer
    Ok fine.. the needs werent cleary defined
    if all your client are using windows, having them to connect using a ftp client is reall simple...

there shouldnt be any config on your side, ftp port is 80 stadard... unless you've changed it... if you did, you need to type something like this in the browser ftp://siteaddress.comortnumber
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the info but now it looks as though it connects but I get an error that states

'an error occured opening that folder on the ftp server. Make sure you have permissions to access that folder. Details: Timed out.'

Apparently, it connects but does not allow me to browse the server.

I had a similar problem, its came (for me) in the form of a iptables issue, I was only alowing tcp conenctions on port 21 (ftp port, port 80 is http) but the directory listings seem to be sent by udp. Also check that the user that the ftp damon runs as has permisson to read the ftp directory. If you would like, feel free to post your vsftp.conf, and we can look at it (just be careful to remove any personal info from it)
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Checked both my vsftpd.conf and iptables file and I can't see anything preventing it from connecting via a web browser.

If I type in the broswer address ftp://

I get:

"425 error: bad ip connecting"

If I type in the broswer address htp://

I get:

"The connection was refused when attemping to connect...."

I have a linksys router in the mix and I have port forwarding set for 20 to 21 on the static IP address for the server.

I'm at a loss. Suggestions???

You should provide a name or ip address as well . Example for a local running ftp : ftp://localhost/ or ftp://127.0.0.1 should do the same.
    I\'m so tired .....

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by puntmuts
    You should provide a name or ip address as well . Example for a local running ftp : ftp://localhost/ or ftp://127.0.0.1 should do the same.
    I do provide the name of the address (ftp://domain.com) when using ftp. Those are the errors I get.

Just Joined!
    I figured out why all of my computer couldn't access the ftp server internally; needed to add the line pasv_promiscuous=yes. However, I'm still having a problem with outside users gaining access even though they have the password and username. They're getting access denied, may not have permission to access the folder. Any suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast