Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Fedora Core 2, and I'm new to linux. Right now I would just like to confiure it as a server. I'm not sure what I'll need for serverwise, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora Server..

I have Fedora Core 2, and I'm new to linux. Right now I would just like to confiure it as a server. I'm not sure what I'll need for serverwise, but I want to have MySQL 4.1.x, PHP 4.3.x, and SendMail.

Since I am new to linux, I don't know how to extract extrated files, and install them. And even then, who do I set things up. Not only that, but the download page for MySQL is a mess (its confusing).

Could someone provide me with a tutorial on installing and configuring MySQL, PHP and SendMail (or another mail client)? Or maybe tell me what to enter into the console for extrating, installing and/or configuring?
    Any help here would be nice.
    Thanks.

Linux Enthusiast
    Could someone provide me with a tutorial on installing and configuring MySQL, PHP and SendMail
    To install these from the Fedora CD, insert the CD, and wait until the CD icon appears on the desktop. Double-click it to open the Fedora autorun. Follow the steps on the installer until you come to the select packages screen. Scroll down to the part for Server apps and check the appropriate boxes, all of them if you like. Follow the remainder of the steps through the finalization of the installation.
    Or maybe tell me what to enter into the console for extrating, installing and/or configuring?
    To install a .rpm file, use the command
    Code:
    rpm -i <rpm-name>
    or alternatively, to uninstall a package that was installed from rpm, use
    Code:
    rpm -e <program-name-minus-.rpm>
    , or, a third option, to install from a .bz2 or .gz file containing source code
    Code:
    tar -xv%f <file-name> -C <directory-to-extract-to>
    cd <directory-extracted-to>
    ./configure
    make
    make install
    replace % with "j" if it is a .bz2 file, or "z" if it is a .gz file.
    This is a pretty standard procedure for installing from source.