Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi all, Pls just in case this particular forum is not where such a question should be addressed, kindly let me know. My question is: I have Apache installed and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Cant view Windows WebPage(IE) on Linux(Mozilla)

hi all,

Pls just in case this particular forum is not where such a question should be addressed, kindly let me know.

My question is:
    I have Apache installed and working on my windows XP PC. On the sample webpage "index.html" I placed a hyperlink "link1" to "page1.html" which is a data access page created with Microsoft Access. Page1.html is just to display some data in a tabular form.

On my windows PC, all works well......clicking my link on index.html, I can see my page1.html display correctly.

I decide to try it out on my linux machine. Using my windows IP, index.html displays correctly(its just a blank white page). Clicking on the link "link1", I get such an error:

"Data Access Page Notification
    The Page requires Windows IE5.0 or higher....................."

I guess it must be because my RedHat9 uses Mozilla as browser.
    I use Microsoft Frontpage to practice my webdesign, and ive checked all its tools/properties etc....It allows Internet Explorer and Netscape navigators as webpage publishers.

or does anyone know of a freeware that can be used to publish a webpage so that any browser can access it?

Pls advice......
    Tokunbo

There's *lots* of free/OSS web page tools. Nvu is a nice one, as well as just plain old Mozilla Composer. I use them both, depending on my mood. In the MS Windows world, I use mostly Mozilla Composer, or occasionally Dreamweaver. I'd steer clear of FrontPage; the code it generates I find personally offensive.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    ok thanks man,

let me get the Nvu and ill keep you posted how it goes

thanks
    Tokunbo

Linux Newbie
    hi,

The Mozilla browser you suggested, "is it only for designing/publishing webpages that will be browsable on only Linux platforms"? or will it work also with windows..
    How about Dreamweaver.

Im designing an intranet for a company consisting of windows PCs(98,2000, XP), about 2 PCs running RedHat and one on Mandrake.

thats why Im asking the questions......actually looking for a webdesign tool that would work......cross OS.

thanks
    Tokunbo

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    There's *lots* of free/OSS web page tools. Nvu is a nice one, as well as just plain old Mozilla Composer. I use them both, depending on my mood. In the MS Windows world, I use mostly Mozilla Composer, or occasionally Dreamweaver. I'd steer clear of FrontPage; the code it generates I find personally offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokunbo
    hi,

The Mozilla browser you suggested, "is it only for designing/publishing webpages that will be browsable on only Linux platforms"? or will it work also with windows..
    How about Dreamweaver.
    It will work on both platforms, all you need is good enough html code and you are away on all platforms;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Quote Originally Posted by Tokunbo
    hi,

How about Dreamweaver.
    I actually should not have included Dreamweaver in that paragraph because it is neither free (costs several hundred dollars) nor OSS (owned by Macromedia). However, as dylunio said, all of the tools I mentioned (including Dreamweaver) will generate HTML that is standards-compliant and viewable by any OS/Browser combination.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

im not realy familiar with some of the wysiwyg's out there, but i know that kde has quanta, i hear about it alot, don't wanna say its actualy popular, but again, I don't do web design...
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

and there's Screem. But why do you need a wysiwyg editor? Just open up a simple text editor. That's what I do for PHP and HTML. WYSIWYG editors teach you nothing, IMHO.

Linux Newbie
    hello Dylunio,

Ive downloaded, and installed NVU on my windows PC, and designed a sample webpage, which I can view(access) over another windows PC. When I try to view it on Linux, it gives me the same errors:

"Data Access Page Notification
    The Page requires Windows IE5.0 or higher....................."

What Im actually doing is this(example): I have a link on "index.html" that links to a data access page(created using Microsoft Access). On the PC(Windows) where 'index.html' is designed, everything works well....as in once my dataaccesspage link is clinked, I can see my data displayed properly.

On my linux PC(RedHat9), 'index.html' displays properly but when I click on the link(to my data access page), the error mentioned above ensues(MS Frontpage or NVu).

pls assist
    Toks

Just Joined!
    Does that access web page need Microsoft Access to work? Since Linux does not have Microsoft Access program maybe the page won't work. Just a thought.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast