Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

newbie questions regarding postfix and nginx

I recently wiped and reinstalled my Centos server and installed iredmail. I do have email working incoming and outgoing, the only issue is that even though I am on a business internet account, I have a dynamic ip and my outgoing email gets marked as spam with all of the big players. I understand there is a way to configure postfix to relay off of my ISPs (Comcast) email servers. I found a doc online explaining somewhat how to do this but I almost broke postfix in the process as the documentation i found wasnt very clear. Is anyone familiar with how to do this?

My other question is a newbie one about intranet vs internet. I would like to host an intranet site and an internet site separately on this server. Is this possible and advisable? The internet site works already.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by terracide View Post
    My other question is a newbie one about intranet vs internet. I would like to host an intranet site and an internet site separately on this server. Is this possible and advisable? The internet site works already.
    imh(non-professional)o, it's the same as far as your server is concerned.
    assuming you have some sort of separate router, it's the router that decides what can go "outside" and what stays "inside".
    in other words, machines that hang on your router (can be via wifi too) and have a local IP = intranet

I mean that makes sense, but what does that look like on the server itself? I have Nginx running the email management and a basic webserver accessible to the internet, can I host an intranet off of the same physical server or would it have to be on a different server / ip address or vm? thanks in advance, maybe I'm just confused.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by terracide View Post
    I mean that makes sense, but what does that look like on the server itself?
    like i said, there's no difference.
    it's just different IPs - the server sends and gets stuff to and from different IPs. full stop.
    the router decides which are internal and what goes to / comes from the outside.
    on my router, all internal IPs start with 192.168.... i think that's fairly common, but could be something else.

as an example, i have 2 to 3 machines hanging on my router - that would be my intranet - and am also connected to the internet. one of these 3 machines is a dedicated server that serves a website and a few other things, and it serves that to my 2 other machines just as much as to the internet (unless i restrict that with firewall settings, which i do).

maybe you mean something else by intranet? maybe you have to explain better what you mean.

I have port forwarding set to direct traffic coming in on port 80 from the internet to my web server. in the /var/www directory I have my index.html for my website and have my email management page in a directory called mail. What I want is to have a private website for my internal network accessible to all of my computers on my local network only (an intranet)?. How would I set that up? Thanks again..

Linux Guru
    -->
    set up a different virtual server or site (apache terminology) on a different port, and do NOT forward incoming traffic to that port.