Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Dolda (i know this seems a long post just bear with me on this) - there is a break through, no it still doesnt work, but a better understanding of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dolda (i know this seems a long post just bear with me on this) - there is a break through, no it still doesnt work, but a better understanding of what happens in ocs, and this is where i think perhaps you can help.

Firstly this is what happens, there is an application in ocs called oracle calendar. This application allows the creation of meetings, and you can specify various users to attend the meeting. Now once the meeting is created an email notification is sent - this is the problem the mail is recieved - BUT it is sent.

At the o/s level there is a user called unison. What happens is when a meeting is created the unison user is used to send an email via the following command:

/usr/lib/sendmail -v naqi@ocs.com

Now i had a look in the following location /var/spool/mail/unison and unisons spool file shows me that sendmail is trying to send the email but it does not get delivered. I then noticed something that all mails sent my unison are sent with the following format

Like i told u my hostname = naqi and domainname = ocs.com.

what is supposed to happen is calendar via sendmail is suppoed to hand of the email notification to oracle's unified messaging smtp - which runs on port 25. Yes i know this means sendmail cannot be running, thast the thing it is not supposed to be running, but ocs is developed in such a way that email notifications are sent by the unison user via sendmail ( i dont know why it cant connect directly to oracle;s unified messaging smtp).

I hope this much is clear.

Now when i saw mails coming from unison@localhost, i thought perhaps oracles smtp was not able to understand what in fact localhost was, so in the settings of oracle's smtp_in i entered a rewrite rule (*$*.*@localhost,$1.$2@ocs.com), which says any mail coming from *@localhost deliver it to *@ocs.com.
    It still doesnt work, why? well if i enter the command manually myself:

/usr/lib/sendmail -v naqi@ocs.com

I get the result

ocs.com: Name server timeout
    naqi@ocs.com... Transient parse error -- message queued for future
    delivery

Why doesn't sendmail understand that ocs.com is the same machine, ie my host file has an entry

ip_Address naqi.ocs.com naqi

How can i get sendmail to recogonize that ocs.com is actually the localhost ?
    Does that sound logical and clear?

I appreciate any help

Naqi

Just Joined!
    I just wanted to add, that i also specified a dns server for my linux box to use, this is what happened:

sendmail -v naqi@ocs.com
    work dammit wok

then i recieved a sent mail confirmation.

However what happens in this case is that sendmail now uses the dns server to send the email. All i want is for sendmail to know that any email with ocs.com is actually on the same linux box, ie the origin is the same as the delivery. Once this is done, then i beleive oracle;s unified smtp_in will kcik in and pick up that mail and deliver it to my ocs users

naqi

Just Joined!
    This seems like soemthing related, taken from the link :

http://devrim.oper.metu.edu.tr/DNSBOOK/ch03_03-3.htm

Another role of sendmail is that of transporting mail to other machines. A message is transported when sendmail determines that the recipient is not local. The following lines from a typical configuration file define delivery agents for transporting mail to other machines:

Msmtp, P=[IPC], F=mDFMuX, S=11/31, R=21, E=\r\n, L=990,
    Muucp, P=/usr/bin/uux, F=DFMhuUd, S=12, R=22/42, M=10000000,

The actual lines in your file may differ. The name smtp in the above example may appear in your file as ether or ddn or something else. The name uucp may appear as suucp or uucp-dom. There may be more such lines than we've shown here. The important point for now is that some delivery agents deal with local delivery, while others deal with delivery over a network.
    Perhaps soemthing like this needs to be configured to tell sendmail not to pass of the mail to another host??? but instead to pass it to naqi.ocs.com which is also the localhost???

Or perhaps what i need is a rewrite rule for sendmail to map localhost to ocs.com ??
    Actually why are mails sent from sendmail having @localhost and not @ocs.com ??

I also found how to disable DNS for sendmail , perhaps this is what i need:

2.4.2 Eliminate DNS Support
    If you are on a machine that does not support DNS (such as a home workstation that connects to the outside world exclusively via UUCP), you will need to exclude DNS support from sendmail. One way to tell whether your machine supports DNS is to run the nslookup( program. It may not be in your path, so if it is not found when you try to run it, you have to find it. Try looking in /usr/etc or /usr/sbin. If nslookup( hangs when you run it, your system probably does not support DNS. If it doesn't hang, its output will look like this. Just type Control-D to exit:

% /usr/etc/nslookup
    Default Server: localhost
    Address: 127.0.0.1

> ^D

If your system lacks DNS support, you must then redefine the value of NAMED_BIND as 0 in Makefile. One way to do that is to edit your Makefile and search for the line beginning with the string ENVDEF:

ENVDEF=

Append to that line the following string, which turns off DNS support inside sendmail:

ENVDEF= -DNAMED_BIND=0
    Can i simpyl edit the sendmail.cf instead of having to edit the makefile and rebuild sendmail???

naqi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2