Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi I have an installatin of oracle collaboration suite on red hat linux 7.3. Part of the cofiguration requires that sendmail be setup. This is required in order to recieve ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Transient parse error-msg queued for future delivery on OCS

Hi

I have an installatin of oracle collaboration suite on red hat linux 7.3. Part of the cofiguration requires that sendmail be setup. This is required in order to recieve notifications on meetings via oracle calendar.

Anyway, i have a test system :

hostname: naqi
    domain: ocs.com

host file entry:

192.168.0.175 naqi.ocs.com naqi naqi01
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

Now here is a test via sendmail:

# /usr/lib/sendmail -v oracle
    hi
    oracle... Connecting to local...
    oracle... Sent

the message is sent and delivered successfully.

Now i try the following:

# /usr/lib/sendmail -v oracle@ocs.com
    ocs.com: Name server timeout
    oracle@ocs.com... Transient parse error -- message queued for future delivery
    hi

oracle@ocs.com... queued

Due to this problem, notifications sent via oracle calendar are getting queued. What should be happening is these messages get sent to oracle email also running on the same system, and when the user logs into oracle email he is able to read these notifications. Anybody got any ideas? or had to configure ocs?

Naqi

Just Joined!
    Just forgot to add, i dont need a nameserver nor do i want one (unless theres no other way), all this is running on a local machine i need to be able to resolve ocs.com soemhow

naqi

Linux User

Just Joined!
    Thanks, i had alreayd seen that post, but nothing doing .

naqi

Linux Guru
    Why is it that you want to send to oracle@ocs.com? Naturally that won't work if you don't have a domain name. Can't you configure OCS (I've never used it myself, no) to send to just "oracle"? Didn't you say that this only going to be used locally anyway, or did I dream that?

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    perhaps i didnt explain clearly. I have configured OCS, it works fine. My host file entry is as follows:

192.168.0.175 naqi.ocs.com naqi naqi01

Two apache web servers get configured as part of the install, and i can access both via http://naqi.ocs.comort. The various components of ocs work too (files,calendar,email).

With ocs there is already an email server. However for some reason known only to oracle you need to have sendmail so that any ntofications send via files or by calendar are delivered to the correct users in ocs. What i meant by sendmail being used locally is that i do not require it to send mail out of the linux box itself, that is alreayd being doen by oracle's email server. I need to have sendmail route these messages perhaps to oracle's email server.
    what the documentation says is to open the sendmail.cf file and edit the like which has

DH

add your own hostname alias to that aswell, so mine would be :

DHnaqi

Thats about it , besdies commenting out two lines which appear right after the

#short circuit local ----> soemthign like that cant rememeber.

Now when i create a meeting in calendar it does appear that sendmail recives the email, here is the last few lines of the log for sendmail from
    /var/log/maillog

Jun 17 15:34:58 naqi sendmail[15971]: h5H9Ywo15971: to=imtiaz@ocs.com, delay=00:
    00:00, mailer=esmtp, pri=2446, dsn=4.4.3, stat=queued
    Jun 17 15:34:58 naqi sendmail[15974]: h5H9Yw515974: from=unison, size=823, class
    =0, nrcpts=0, msgid=<200306170934.h5H9Yw515974@naqi.ocs.com>, relay=unison@localhost

if you look there are two individuals who are supposed to get the mail, one is me and the other is imtiaz. trouble is these messages get queued for some reason????
    Another thing is there is a line that says:

msgid=<200306170934.h5H9Yw515974@naqi.ocs.com>

why is @naqi.ocs.com ??
    my hostname is naqi. and the domain is ocs.com

in /proc/kernel/sys there are two files, one called hostname, the other called domain:

$more hostname
    naqi

$more domainname
    ocs.com

I hope its clearer now, sorry it would have been clearer but no experience in sendmail for me at all.

Naqi

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    Why is it that you want to send to oracle@ocs.com? Naturally that won't work if you don't have a domain name. Can't you configure OCS (I've never used it myself, no) to send to just "oracle"? Didn't you say that this only going to be used locally anyway, or did I dream that?
    I dont necessarily have to send a mail to oracle@ocs.com, this was jsut a test, perhaps a look at my preivous post will make things clearer. I hope the local part is clear as oracle already have an email server.

Naqi

Linux Guru
    The @naqi.ocs.com comes from the FQDN that sendmail constructs from your hostname and domainname, naturally. But don't care about that, the msgid is just meant to be unique, so it dones't really matter what it actually is, as long as there only is one of it.

But I still don't understand why you even include @ocs.com in the recipient address if it's just going to a local user. Does OCS do that automatically without you having any control over it or something? Like I've said, sendmail naturally can't resolve a domain without a name server to resolve it. Anyway, I'm not sure that it will work, but you can try adding ocs.com to your /etc/mail/local-host-names.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply. I did actually try that, but what i put in the file was the fully qualfiied name as it appears in my hosts file, ie
    naqi.ocs.com.

About including @ocs.com, well no i do not add that myself, yes when i was testing sendmail i did add it. This doesnt matter, becasue oracle calendar (one of the components of OCS) does include it - you can see that from my previous post . One more thing , after i enter infomation into the local-hosts-names file do i need to (now excuse me here, i forget the command, dont worry i'll find it) do i need to execute a command to build the corresponding database file?
    Thanks

Naqi

Linux Guru
    The command is makemap. And, no, I don't think that you need to build a local-host-names database. At least I haven't and it's working.

Now, I really don't know how this OCS works, but can't you just configure to send mails without a domain name at all (ie. just using the local user name)?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast