Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi i need help to set up a mail server with imap and pop3 and web mail is there a step by step guide for newbies. I'm fed up of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mail Server

Hi i need help to set up a mail server with imap and pop3 and web mail is there a step by step guide for newbies.

I'm fed up of windows servers and till now all i know about linux is the dns server.

Cheers
    Et

It really depends on your needs, Mailservers are one of the more complex solutions, and what you are looking to do would not only require an MTA (sendmail,postfix, exim, qmail) but also something like courier, but regaurdless, this is a nice howto in the gentoo-wiki that I have found quite useful and my personal mail system is somewhat similar.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux User

modern distros

My distro FC2 comes with IMAP and POP3 configured - just install them off the CD.

then you need to setup sendmail. this is a real pig but there are guides around. should be simple enough for what your after. check out http://www.tldp.org

for webmail you could use apache and squirrel mail.

good luck
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.