Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just put up a new Web Server using Fedora Core 3, So far so good seems to be stable on the old P3 the only thing weird is if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

New Web Server Fedora Core 3

I just put up a new Web Server using Fedora Core 3, So far so good seems to be stable on the old P3 the only thing weird is if I do a netstat -pant I have something listening I have never heard of before. Can someone shed some light on this?

tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:5335 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1668/mDNSResponder

Is this needed of can I turn this off?
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

It's a local service (as it's running on loopback). It has something to do with your DNS resolution (I'd assume checking /etc/hosts before your DNS servers).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

This is on my web server. I have two seperate dns servers. I don't think I need it. I googled it and all it gave me is where to get it and how to install it, but none said what it actually did and if I actually need it.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close