Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

New Web Server Fedora Core 3

I just put up a new Web Server using Fedora Core 3, So far so good seems to be stable on the old P3 the only thing weird is if I do a netstat -pant I have something listening I have never heard of before. Can someone shed some light on this?

tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:5335 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1668/mDNSResponder

Is this needed of can I turn this off?
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

It's a local service (as it's running on loopback). It has something to do with your DNS resolution (I'd assume checking /etc/hosts before your DNS servers).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

This is on my web server. I have two seperate dns servers. I don't think I need it. I googled it and all it gave me is where to get it and how to install it, but none said what it actually did and if I actually need it.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close