Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
The worst thing with water cooling is that it costs so infernally much. A friend of mine was playing with it about a year ago, and I think it costed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

The worst thing with water cooling is that it costs so infernally much. A friend of mine was playing with it about a year ago, and I think it costed him at least $300. He was a bit clumsy as well, so I think he consumed three mobos and four CPUs in the process, so it costed him much more than that in reality, but it seemed that he was set on making it work, no matter what the cost.

Anyway, I agree on the point that AMD has its shortcomings. My TBird is constantly running at like 60 °C, and the CPU fan on it is the single loudest sound source in my room. It is a bit annoying, and I've almost considered water cooling just to get the sound levels down a bit. Computer thermics is really a problem nowadays; I need like four chassis fans just to get it to not overheat. As far as I know, thermal dissipating is the greatest bottleneck in CPU development; they could easily make faster, more advanced cores, but they can't get the heat out. Of course, that makes me think a little... couldn't they just make cores with holes in them, to allow for air flow-through.

Anyway, </ranting>

Linux Engineer
    60???? what kidna overlcockign r u doing... my xp2000 is clocked up to 1900Mhz (entirely on fsb, i know its not a lot but its as high as it goes stable without turning up the voltage) and it runs at abotu 34 idle and can get up to abotu 42-43 if i run it flat out for like 2 hours. and its got probably the quietest cooler ive ever heard. (and ive used 5 different comps/cpus's regularly over the last coupel of years) BTW, im running a single adjustable speed 80mm rear case fan.

Linux Guru
    Well, that's the thing; I haven't overclocked it at all. Two of my friends have about the same processor, they haven't overclocked them either, and they're about as hot. So what have you done to yours to keep it that cool?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2