Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Ok, After successfully testing my server on port 8080, I got myself a very old pc from my brother-in-law, here is the specs AMD K-6 450( overclocks to 500 now) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Hardware Requirements for a Home Server?

Ok, After successfully testing my server on port 8080, I got myself a very old pc from my brother-in-law, here is the specs

AMD K-6 450( overclocks to 500 now)
    a very old MB which I dun even noe what the hell it is.
    128M of SD Ram, Going to add 128 or 256 more soon
    Display card of 8M
    A 30 G HD and a 6 G HD
    of course a powetful lan card.

I am hoping that my site could host <100 people online at the same time, do you think this server could do it?

Best regards
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules

Linux Engineer
    That is plenty of a home server.

Linux User
    I guess if you upgrade the RAM to 256, you should be fine.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    You'd do more than fine. For long, my HTTP server ran on a 486 running on 66 MHz with 64 MB of RAM. Sure, the CPU was too slow to run PHP scripts properly, but after that I ran the server on a 133 MHz Pentium with the same RAM, and that worked just fine. That server has now suffered severe hardware breakdown, and I am now running it on a 500 MHz P3 with 256 MBs of RAM, and that's really just overkill.

Linux User
    Fantastic!!!! Cheers mates! LOL. I installed RH 9.0 with everything installation option. It took me just about 2 hours to finish, ha ha ha, did not run such slow machine for a long time.

Now what concerns me most is the power supply charge, what is the power consumption for such server running 24 hrs a day? he he he. I hope it could be kept below 50 US cents per day. ha! anyway, no need to buy a UPS, right? This is not a commercial server. hm, Hong Kong power supply is very stable anyway.

Thanks mates!

regards

Linux Guru
    I'm not really sure about the power consumption... the best way is probably to measure it, since different computers have different power drainage. My workstation (which draws the most power of all my computers) have a power supply that can take a maximum drain of 340 W. If it would actually take that much all day long, it would be about 4 kWh per day. I don't know what the price per kWh is in Hong Kong, though, so I can't translate it.

If you want an even more stable power supply without buying a UPS, just buy a couple of large elecrolytical capacitors (be sure that they can take at least 15V), and solder them onto the output wires from your PSU to make them sustain the power during these sub-second blackouts that happen sometimes. That is, if you really worry about it, though.

Linux User
    Hm, i see. nevermind, I think it is like three light bolts with 100W each, may cost about 5-10 US bucks a month.

He he, Just got confirmed with my bro, I left a piece of 256M pc 133 SDram in China's home, now i think I have over 400MB of Sd ram. ho ho ho. and also my old ASUS motherboard kept intact, maybe a bit buggy(i replaced it with a magic-pro MB, supports DDR Ram module, for my bro, cause he found it not good for games), but i think it is good enuff for setting up a decent server. What I need is a second hand duron CPU now, i think the main reason for choosing duron is the temperature issue, I find Athlon XP rather hot(burning).

I think I must get everything ready before opening up my server to the public since there are so many issues should not be ignored, ie, security and stability.

too little time for too much stuff, yet I must not rush myself.
    I am not doing it for money, I am learning to have fun!!!!

Thanks for your opinions!

Kind regards!

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by skyfolly
    I find Athlon XP rather hot(burning).
    You don't say? Have you seen that video clip when they compare Intel to AMD concerning their thermal properties? They remove the cooling equipment from the CPU and see what happens. The Intel processor keeps running for some minutes, freezes, and nothing more. The AMD processor, on the other hand, keeps on for about 30 seconds and then actually catches fire! AMD is a monster when it comes to heat.

Linux User
    LOL

That's why i decided i am going to switch back to intel when intel reduce price in october, i think they are going to cut price by 30-40% then! buy a 2.4 G (HT) can over clock to 3G!

Just Joined!
    Bah, watercool and forget it

I'm no fanboy, but I run all AMD. I have 4 computers with AMD chips and I have no problems. I saw that video too. The reason why the XP cpu burned and the P4 didn't is because the Intel chip had thermal throttling enabled. The socket462 mobos have the same features now.

There are differences in thermal tolerance for each cpu, so comparison based on temps, in some cases, can be misleading. For instance, alot of overclockers run their older P4s at 45C+. I think they've been reading about AMD chips and getting confused, because they seem shocked when their P4 1.8 running @ 3.0GHz and 1.75v suddenly dies . For an AMD chip that would be fine, but for intel...?

Now, I'll admit AMD has it's shortcomings in the thermal dept. The chips can really warm up a room in the summer, but then again I like to overclock as much as possible, when I choose to do it.

The appeal of AMD is that I can buy a 2100+ (or even a 1700+ for $50 dollars US) and overclock it to ~2400 MHz and, if I use a 200MHz+ fsb as opposed to playing with multipliers to achieve this speed, I can run even with a 3.0GHz intel cpu. Of course, the CPU will put out 110 watts of heat, and that is the downside; but if I watercool who cares?

Basically, I have a decently quiet PC, it runs alongside a 3.0GHz intel part, and I paid $61.00 for the cpu as opposed to $370.00 (P4 3.0GHz 533 fsb). I paid $180.00 for my watercooling. My cpu + WC = $241.00, and I still have enough to upgrade my memory 512MB before I reach the price of the intel cpu alone, and then I may still have some change to spare. All my prices are taken off today's pricewatch.com listings BTW.

Sorry, I know this is horribly off topic, but sometimes I take the bait and run with it :o

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast