Find the answer to your Linux question:
Linux newbie! We have a windows 98 client machine trying to print from a paradox 4.0 application behaving very strangely. This morning, could print no problem from windows as well ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

suddenly can't print

Linux newbie!
    We have a windows 98 client machine trying to print from a paradox 4.0 application behaving very strangely. This morning, could print no problem from windows as well as the pdox application. Now can still print from windows (as in windows test page), but nothing from paradox.
    The samba log for this particular user is full of lines like:
    [2005/01/31 14:07:00, 0] tdb/tdbutil.c:tdb_log(725)
    tdb(/var/cache/samba/printing/printer.tdb): rec_read bad magic 0x42424242 at offset=42868

I read on another newsgroup that it sometimes works to delete the printer.tdb file, tried that and no help. All the other machines on the network can still print to that printer with Win 98 & Win XP running paradox.

Help!

check lpq (in command line) for errors and maybe look at /var/log/messages for clues.

cd /var/log
    tail -100 messages or
    tail -f messages # and try and print and see if it kicks out an error

the -f switch keeps the file going the -100 show the last 100
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    I tried your suggestion of tail -f messages # and sent another print job from the problem machine.
    There doesn't seem to be a particular error message, the message are the same as the ones from the users.log file:

[2005/01/31 16:05:12, 0] tdb/tdbutil.c:tdb_log(725)
    tdb(/var/cache/samba/printing/printer.tdb): rec_free_read bad magic 0x42424242 at offset=43248
    [2005/01/31 16:05:12, 0] tdb/tdbutil.c:tdb_log(725)
    tdb(/var/cache/samba/printing/printer.tdb): rec_read bad magic 0x42424242 at offset=42868

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Do a df -h to make sure that there are no full partitions
    Then check /var/spool/cups or var/spool/lpd for any stuck print jobs.
    Have you checked lpq?
    try
    /etc/init.d/lpd restart
    then cycle your printer and try it again.
    This has worked for me in the past.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    there are no full partitions. drives are 9%, 10% and 0% full. the lpq command states: printer is ready no entries

there doesn't seem to be a problem with print jobs getting stuck in the queue because there is only two machines in the building unable to print (was one win 98 machine, now one win98 & one winXP).

I can still send print jobs to this printer via paradox on other machines, via Windows on all the machines, and with the fedora server itself.

Bizarre to say the least. I will try re-starting the printer after everyone has gone home.

If some can print and some can't it sounds more like a network issue than a printer issue. Can the winboxes that can't print see the network? Can they see files on the Fedora server? Can they see shares on the other computers. Are you working with a domain or a workgroup? I am sure you have already done this but I have to suggest it anyway. Reboot the windows machines you are having problems with.
    I had sort of he same setup as you and I had a win98 machine that would drop the printer inadvertantly somethimes. (My printer is on a RH 9.0 box) I finally upgraded to XP and so far that seems to have done the trick for now. Now that I think about it I have Advanced Win 2k server and the printer just inadvetantly stopped working on that. I am going to have to figure that out too. I am suspecting I might have to reload the driver on mine. (on the Advanced server box)
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    I think we've solved the problem. I uninstalled the printer object on the win98 machine, re-captured the printer port and re-installed the printer object, and it works....for now anyways, however tomorrow is another day!
    Thanks for your help!

Anytime, I think that is the exact same problem with my Advanced Server.

Cheers,
    Mike
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    Here's an update..
    After thinking that we fixed the problem on Monday, same thing happened on tuesday, with a different networked printer, and three different client machines (2 w/ win98 & 1 xp pro).

Tried deleting printer objects, no help, deleted printer off the server and re-installed, no help..

Today, we decided to kill everything, shut down servers, shut down modem & router, long story short, everything seems to be working again...

I have tried that at my house didn't fix it for me. I haven't given up I just haven't had the time to research further yet. Thanks for the update.
    Mike
    -- Linus Torvalds