Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok, I'm pretty confused. I have a printer (Brother HL 1440) that is set up on a linux system (Fedora Core 3) to be shared to a few windows systems. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sharing printers to Windows

ok, I'm pretty confused. I have a printer (Brother HL 1440) that is set up on a linux system (Fedora Core 3) to be shared to a few windows systems.
    I went to the first system, browsed to the printer (\\server\HL1440), right clicked, chose connect, told it I trusted the source, and selected the proper driver. The printer works perfectly...
    I went to the next computer, and repeated this, BUT...it didn't ask for a driver. Now, every time I try to use the printer (via MS Word), I word crashes as soon as I select the printer from the dropdown. It gives this error:
    AppName: winword.exe AppVer: 11.0.5604.0 AppStamp:3f314a2f
    ModName: bruhl01a.dll ModVer: 0.2.0.0 ModStamp:3c7ee6fe
    fDebug: 0 Offset: 000046db

So I tried to go to 'Control Panel' -> 'Printers' and right click the printer...choosing properties. I then get a GPF:
    Function address 0x6a9046db caused a protection fault. (Exception code 0xc0000005) Some or all property page(s) may not be displayed.

I tried another win comp...same thing as the second. (not good), all computers are XP SP2 with ALL updates, and identical hardware.

Just Joined!

Unfortunetly this doesn't seem to be a samba error, as your smb.conf checks out, and it works on one of the computers. I'm certainly not fluent in MS by any means, but why not try uninstalling and reinstalling the printer, and seeing if you can select the driver? Or, if im correct, by right clicking on 'My Computer' then properties, you can access some sort of device manager that will allow you to select the driver in use for every device.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Unfortuantely, I've uninstalled/re-installed more times than I care to think. I looked at device manager, and it seems that printers are one device that is NOT there.

It seems to be a user-specific issue. I created a new user account on one computer that WASN'T working called "Aaron D. Campbell" (mapped in smbusers to my user...acampbel), and I could install the printer. It seems that only my account, and the guest account work. The problem is, if the user has a password on their Windows account, it won't let me have them log in as guest, and I don't want everyone using my account, because they'd have access to things like out web-directory. What might I have done wrong in the smbuser creation? Here is what I did:
    useradd jdoe
    smbpasswd -a jdoe
    *edit smbusers and add a line like jdoe = "John J Doe"

perhaps it has to do with the type of password encryption that samba is using? I had set mine to blowfish as I just tend to like it, but found my server wasn't authenticating correctly, when I returned it to the default it worked, I dunno if its as likely in this case, but might be worth a shot. Another possibility is the spaces in the username. I'm not positive how/if this is a problem, but alot of GUI's have frontend usernames (Full Names) and then a backend username used to authenticate.... perhaps the John J Doe string is authenticaed as JohnJDoe or John_J_Doe?
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Quote Originally Posted by aaroncampbell
    Unfortuantely, I've uninstalled/re-installed more times than I care to think. I looked at device manager, and it seems that printers are one device that is NOT there.

It seems to be a user-specific issue. I created a new user account on one computer that WASN'T working called "Aaron D. Campbell" (mapped in smbusers to my user...acampbel), and I could install the printer. It seems that only my account, and the guest account work. The problem is, if the user has a password on their Windows account, it won't let me have them log in as guest, and I don't want everyone using my account, because they'd have access to things like out web-directory. What might I have done wrong in the smbuser creation? Here is what I did:
    useradd jdoe
    smbpasswd -a jdoe
    *edit smbusers and add a line like jdoe = "John J Doe"
    Have you created smb accounts for your other users.
    Guest is dangerous, but say you have a user sally on the windows box do the same thing for her
    smbpasswd -a sally
    *don't edit the file it is not needed.
    They must have a user account on the linux box to have a working smbpasswd account.
    remember to restart the service (or reboot) anytime you make configuration changes or user changes.
    I share a printer at my house but my linux server hosts the printer. anybody can access it from any windows or linux box on the network.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds