Find the answer to your Linux question:
I would like some advice as to which version of php i should install. I would like to go for the latest version, but is there any benefits/drawbacks of having ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Php Install

I would like some advice as to which version of php i should install. I would like to go for the latest version, but is there any benefits/drawbacks of having php 5 instead of php4? I am using apache 2 on Suse 9.2.

If you are planning on doing all your own development, you'll probably want to do the php5 thing. however should you be implementing other people's packages (ie phpmyadmin, phpBB) then check to see what version of php is recommened/supported. The php websites changelog should help you should you be doing all your own development and thinking about updating.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    im already using phpbb, and most of my pages are in php. So i guess ill take a look at their website.

Linux Engineer
    The PHP site used to say that php 4 should be used in production environments, but for everything else php 5 would be fine. I don't know if it still says that, though. From what I've seen, php 5 is better and less buggy.