Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have courier-imap-ssl installed and running on a gentoo box, recently I updated via emerge -uvD world and now all authentication request are being refused.... Code: Feb 8 09:41:27 [imapd-ssl] ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Courier-Imap-ssl authentication issue [solved]

I have courier-imap-ssl installed and running on a gentoo box, recently I updated via emerge -uvD world and now all authentication request are being refused....

Code:
    Feb  8 09:41:27 [imapd-ssl] Connection, ip=[127.0.0.1]
    Feb  8 09:41:27 [imapd-ssl] authdaemon: s_connect() failed: No such file or directory
    Feb  8 09:41:27 [imapd-ssl] LOGIN FAILED, user=kevin, ip=[127.0.0.1]
    Feb  8 09:41:27 [imapd-ssl] authentication error: No such file or directory
    has been kicked out in my logs. which seems the likely culprit, is anyone got any bright ideas?
    Also I tried using the squirelmail configtest page to get some input, it gave me this

Code:
    Checking IMAP service....
        IMAP server ready (* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE AUTH=PLAIN ACL ACL2=UNION] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2005 Double Precision, Inc. See COPYING for distribution information.)
        Capabilities: * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE AUTH=PLAIN ACL ACL2=UNION 

ERROR: You have enabled TLS encryption in the config, but the server does not report STARTTLS capability. TLS is probably not supported.

Checking internationalization (i18n) settings...
         gettext - Gettext functions are available. You must have appropriate system locales compiled.
         mbstring - Mbstring functions are available.
         recode - Recode functions are unavailable.
         iconv - Iconv functions are available.
         timezone - Webmail users can change their time zone settings.
    Checking database functions...
        not using database functionality.

Congratulations, your SquirrelMail setup looks fine to me!
    however if i don't use tls, then I get a timeout on the server.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

For anyone wondering, gentoo recently unmasked the 4.0.1 release of courier-imap... it now implements courier-authlib as opposed to authdaemond by default for authentication. Correcting this was a matter of reading some lonnng documentation, I plan to compile this into a short howto for the tutorials secion at some point. but after that I couldn't figure out why, but apperently the new courier-authlib also prefers to use mysql authentication over pam... and odd default to say the least, but no worries, an easy patch to /etc/courier-imap/authdaemonrc to reoder module preferance makes a nice patch.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333