Find the answer to your Linux question:
My client computers will not see the domain! where am I going wrong, I have edited the smb.conf with all the right options, added the users, but the clients still ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba as a PDC

My client computers will not see the domain! where am I going wrong, I have edited the smb.conf with all the right options, added the users, but the clients still wont see the servers, what am I missing, as this is a test system for one I am meant to install at work!

cheers

Can you be more specific.
    have you restarted the service since you edited the conf file.
    What distro -
    what is happening - errors
    can you see files on the domain but can't access them.
    are the users on the linux box the same as the windows box (this makes it so much easier)
    if so did you create them in smbpasswd.
    smbpasswd -a user
    after creating a smbpasswd user you need to restart the service
    if you are using RED HAT /FEDORA then it is
    /etc/init.d/smb restart
    Slackware is
    /etc/rc.d/rc.samba start.

I hope this helps if it doesn't try and give a little more info and I will try again
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    I restarted the machine. do I need to restart samba seperately???

I created the users and their passwords under the GUI password/user thingiee i tried the command to stop and start samba, it said something basically saying it didn't exist, but I know samba is installed. red hat 9.0, complete server installation. I can't get the win 2000 machines to join the created domain, even after shutting all machines down, and then bringing it all back up. should I post my smb.conf file? or should I e-mail it to you??

Just Joined!

By the way........

Once this is up, happy to offer you guys webspace, IRC servers etc if you want them, just ask....

You can PM me if you like. It may not start automatically when you reboot it all depends on what runlevel you boot into. I can walk you through all of that but you need to give me a little more info.
    first what run level 3 boots into command line run level 5 boots into gui?
    nest in a term or command line type netstat -pant and post the output
    If you had a firewall installed during the install then you will have to configure it to allow your samba. These are things you can check on.
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Quote Originally Posted by camrocks
    I restarted the machine. do I need to restart samba seperately???

I created the users and their passwords under the GUI password/user thingiee i tried the command to stop and start samba, it said something basically saying it didn't exist, but I know samba is installed. red hat 9.0, complete server installation. I can't get the win 2000 machines to join the created domain, even after shutting all machines down, and then bringing it all back up. should I post my smb.conf file? or should I e-mail it to you??
    Do the user and passwords in a command line just like I previously posted
    also when you restart the service you need to be root
    This isn't why you can't see it yet this is just for access. I am betting that you have installed a firewall and you will have to configure that to allow smb protocol. Maybe shut it down till you get samba working then configure the firewall later.

The only thing that needs to be configure to start with in the smb.conf file is the workgroup and the host.allow then the start the service and you should be able to see it. (unless the Linux firewall is stopping it)

Let me know if this is not clear
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    Got the domain being seen, added users, however, when trying to join the domain, I either get...

this is a computer account, login as user account or global account

or

bad username/password

what am I doing wrong??

thanks for your assistance BTW....

Just Joined!

hmmm

Here's the deal.

I have configured samba, My win box sees the samba box, the samba box sees the win box. I have created a compter account for the win box (going in and manually editing the passwd file so the PC has an acct with $ at the end of the name, and it has /dev/null and a false shell) and I have created a user account.

BUT

I still cannot log onto it like a domain, with domain authentication.

any ideas?