Find the answer to your Linux question:
Does anyone know if there is a version of mod_ssl for apache 2.x? It appears the latest version on the website is still for apache 1.x. Also, what is the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mod_ssl

Does anyone know if there is a version of mod_ssl for apache 2.x? It appears the latest version on the website is still for apache 1.x.

Also, what is the difference between apache ssl and mod_ssl. Which would you recommend for a home server security i.e. ease of set up/maintenance/functionality etc.

My only experiance is with mod_ssl the gentoo wiki has a nice artical on it here I hope this can get you started, assuming you have it all installed, then most of the information should be good, just be aware that the locations of certain files might be different in a non-gentoo install. Liberal use of the locate or slocate command will be required.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

mod_ssl is more of a hack* then Apache-ssl which is a full server I personally run Apache-ssl with Apache.

* Sorry I cannot find where I read this but found it out whilst checking the differnce between the two.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    So if i were to use apache ssl would i install the normal apache 2 and then install apache ssl? Is there a version that supports apache2, cos if there is i cant find it?

You install them both and run them as seperate servers one on port 445 and the other on 80. Also I beleve that Apache-ssl is only avalible as version 1.3.x not 2.x.

ps, IIRC you cant get ssl on version 2 of Apache is there any specsfic functionalty you need from version 2.x?

Just Joined!
    no not really, i just thought it would be better to start with apache 2, being the latest version. Could i use apache 2 as my normal server, and apache-ssl/mod_ssl 1.x as the secure server or would that cause problems?

Assuming you are hosting static pages, and permissions are set correctly then that would work fine, however if you are planning on using php or something of the like, then there might be problems, especialy with sessions.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333