Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was just wondering cuz I wanna make a web site but am to cheap to pay mothly hosting....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Does it cost money to start a linux server?

I was just wondering cuz I wanna make a web site but am to cheap to pay mothly hosting.

Re: Does it cost money to start a linux server?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric55441
    I was just wondering cuz I wanna make a web site but am to cheap to pay mothly hosting.
    It doesn't cost money to make a web server. If you want to see it on the web you will have to buy a domain name such as mydomain.com
    this costs money but I have seen it anywhere from 9.99 to 39.9 a year for the name. After you buy the name you will need a static IP address to match with the name and if you are lucky enough to get one from your internet provider then you are good to go, but you may have to purchase that from your provider. That is it. If you just want an Intranet server that is free.

You can check for available domain names from Network Solutions here
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

dyndns.org offers free domain names, and programs to point the domain names to dynamic IP's (ie a 100% free solution) downside is the names are all after several domains that dyndns.org owns hostname.homelinux.com for example.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Newbie
    Does running a dedicated server at home typically cause trouble with your ISP? After all, a flat-rate provider would have to eat the costs for an essentially unlimited amount of bandwidth usage, whereas a client connection has more constraints.
    \"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces.\" - Sluggy Freelance

Quote Originally Posted by Workaphobia
    Does running a dedicated server at home typically cause trouble with your ISP? After all, a flat-rate provider would have to eat the costs for an essentially unlimited amount of bandwidth usage, whereas a client connection has more constraints.
    most ISP's frown on this. if you read your ISPs service agreement or contract it probably says don't do it. I don't think its to hard for them to detect and deal with it either

Quote Originally Posted by jledhead
    Quote Originally Posted by Workaphobia
    most ISP's frown on this. if you read your ISPs service agreement or contract it probably says don't do it. I don't think its to hard for them to detect and deal with it either
    Although for the most part this is true if you pick a Ma and Pa ISP they are usually happy to do anything to make money. There are some DSL providers that do provide IP's upon request, but is usually shot down with CABLE.
    My ISP gave me 4 ip's with my account. I buy 6 more on top of that.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds