Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all I am new to Linux, i already used Redthat and Mandrake to see how linux worked and so on. So im not a total newbie but aint a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Server Selection

Hello all

I am new to Linux, i already used Redthat and Mandrake to see how linux worked and so on.
    So im not a total newbie but aint a expert either.

I need some opinios and ideias from more experianced linux users.

My company changed offices 1 week ago and on the new office there will be a server for the company.
    This server will be for web and email, some space to keep backups from users PC, nothing very important.

We are a very small company so we are looking for inexpensive or very cheap solutions.
    My questions would be:

1- The best linux for running a small web/mail server, with as litle costs as possible.
    2 - If there is a linux package that as web/mail server incorporated (like Windows 2003 server)
    3 - If not what are the best linux solutions for web/mail servers, again either inexpensive or cheap.
    4 - Any ideias are very welcome

I thank you in advance
    Best regards

Neokid

Linux Engineer
    1- The best linux for running a small web/mail server, with as litle costs as possible.
    None, all are really good. I personnaly like Mandrake and Debian.

2 - If there is a linux package that as web/mail server incorporated (like Windows 2003 server)
    3 - If not what are the best linux solutions for web servers, again either inexpensive or cheap.
    Apache... is THE solution to go for, 60% of the current web sites worldwide use apache. It runs on windows and linux. It is strong and very reliable.

As for mail server, I do not know but Adrenaline sure know what to recommend for this.
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!

Be carefull with administration.

Linux systems and servers are famous for their strong duration, but you have to think if you/your company have the needed knowhow to deal with a linux downtime situation.

Administering a windows server is clicking NEXT ... NEX and Aply OK but linux servers need more strong administration skills to reduce an eventualy downtime to the small period of time as possible.
    But I do really support you saying: Use linux ever and forever, it will never disapoint you.

(Sory my english)

Quote Originally Posted by UgoDeschamps
    As for mail server, I do not know but Adrenaline sure know what to recommend for this.
    Thanks for the shout-out. I recommend Sendmail because it works by default on most linux distros. All that needs to be done is name the box, and assign IP address, enable relay (only allowing your domain), and add a user,and you are sending mail.

Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!

Costs

Regarding the costs to our company, are all these free for comercial use or have license costs?

Best regards

Neokid

Free to use but if you are putting it into production I say pay for them through their website to help support the cause. If you purchase the copy you get some support too.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!

Thx

Thank you all for your help

Neokid

Linux Engineer
    Thanks for the shout-out.
    Hey, I've recognized your knowledge long time ago
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps