Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
My setup: I'm running Suse9.2 pro.... I have dumped postfix in favor of sendmail and I'm using the pop3 that came with Suse via XInet.d 3rd party is running DNS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

POP3 server won't authenticate

My setup:
    I'm running Suse9.2 pro....
    I have dumped postfix in favor of sendmail
    and I'm using the pop3 that came with Suse via XInet.d
    3rd party is running DNS for me and the MX record points to the server I'm using.

I have a bunch of email problems I'm hoping adrenaline or someone can help me with here....(Adrenaline seems to be the expert in these matters....)
    But I'm going to start off with a little thing and work backwards....

I'm trying to run POP3 on my server.
    I have set it up via the xinet.d config in YAST and it appears to be running fine.
    but when trying to access it from my windows box via outlook it won't accept my password. It appears to accept the password locally though KMail though.

I have tried all the options like SPA and SSL via the test account settings in outlook but it continues to ask me for the password despite the fact I am using the correct one.

Test Account can find the server fine but the enter password just won't take the password.

Is there some config file for Pop3 I'm missing that I have to set the auth method for? I tried Qpopper as well and I got the same problem!

Is it possible that my sendmail config is affecting this? I would have thought both were independent of each other.

I know I have some problems with Sendmail config as mail is not getting sent or bounced but at least the outlook client is sending to it and sendmail is accepting it as sent.
    But I am finding it hard to troubleshoot that without the pop3 server accepting logins.

Can someone point me in the right direction to get pop3 working?
    I rarely ever intend to retrieve mail locally on the server box so all I really need it to do is accept send and retrieve from an outside box.

In my setup I have a 3rd party handling DNS for me so there is no DNS server running locally, could that be the problem? I wouldn't think so.

Basically all I want to do is run sendmail and a pop3 to handle a single domain called microcade.com.
    If I can get the pop3 working in outlook I can at least trouble shoot my send problems with sendmail. unless both are the SAME problem...

I have managed to get evberything else running on this box except email including FTP and IRC...
    Just that this email is really tough because of the two program approach and all the security that you have to deal with thanks to the spammers
    ruining it for the rest of us!

Well you have a lot of things going on here.
    Just a little background I use sendmail myself. I don't use ssl or anything fancy and I use it on RED HAT 9 pro. I am going to upgrade to FEDORA 3 soon.
    I hope that before you made any config changes you made backups of the folders before you started changing anything
    example
    cp sendmail.cf to sendmail.cf.orig

Here is how it works on redhat.
    All you have to do is get a static IP from your provider. Then if you don't do your own DNS you have them do it for you. You need a domain name that is matched in DNS
    So for an example you own "mycompany.org"
    In /etc/mail there is a folder called local_host_names
    in there you add your new ip (example) 63.149.25.36
    so you would add 63.149.25.36 and
    mycompany.org
    then you would add
    mycompany.org RELAY
    to you access file
    then you would restart your service
    in
    RH it is /etc/init.d/sendmail restart
    then you would go to /etc/xinit.d then change ipop3 for disable =yes to diable =no
    then reboot system
    type netstat -pant this will show you that port 25 and 110 is working
    25 =smtp and 110 pop3
    you are good to go at this point just add users
    useradd joe
    passwd joe
    <mypassword>
    <mypassword>
    now onto the client
    outlook or whatever. the servers will be mail.mycompany.org for both and the email username and passwords will be what you just put in the server.
    that is really all there is to it to get it working. after that it is configuring things like ssl and authentication. Don't try and do too much at first. get it working then worry about finese.

My guess is that you have misconfigured something along the way and you should basically start over and back up everything before you make changes so you can go back.
    I might have missed a couple of basic steps but this is a basic overview of what I do.
    I hope this helps.
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    Thanks Adrenaline

I think I have a handle on why the mail is bouncing....
    Seems part of my problem is dynamic DNS I'm using...
    I most probably could solve this by buying a static IP from the ISP but that is really not an option for me right now, so it might not be possible to solve that problem.

I did get a message returned by postmaster from my ISP (the one whose accounts I have been using to test outside email connections), and it gave me some notice that it would not accept mail from a dynamic IP server despite the fact it is one of their OWN IPs...
    I think this is really my problem with sendmail...I will try this with something like hotmail to see if that works but I'm willing to bet that until I get a static IP assigned most security and spam bots will simply reject the mail from the server....

onto the pop3 problem...
    I'm still not sure what the problem is here...it accepts the login and password when I do it from the local host but remotely it will not accept the user and password...

When you say add a user you do mean simply create an account using the same process you would to create a local login right? Or am I missing something there?

Is there another DB I have to pico and add users to aside from the standard add users to linux function?

I was under the impression that if the user existed in my login that it would automatically create a pop3 login as well...
    I even made sure to assign the users to the MAIL group although I thought that might be overkill....

Thanks for your help but it's looking like I might have to either pay for email hosting or the static IP....

I did try adding 0.0.0.0 to the localhosts file as well...
    I think it is simply the dynamic IP that is tripping me up on the sendmail...
    Pop3 I'm clueless on...Funny thing is that is supposed to be the EASY part to get working....just turn it on! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Asphyx
    Thanks Adrenaline

I did get a message returned by postmaster from my ISP (the one whose accounts I have been using to test outside email connections), and it gave me some notice that it would not accept mail from a dynamic IP server despite the fact it is one of their OWN IPs...
    I think this is really my problem with sendmail...I will try this with something like hotmail to see if that works but I'm willing to bet that until I get a static IP assigned most security and spam bots will simply reject the mail from the server....
    If you talk to your provider and tell them what you are doing they may work with you in fixing your DNS issue. They can allow your mail server to authenticate with their mail server without giving up an IP and they can alias your server in their DNS. That should fix your problem. The problem is that usually you won't find someone smart enough to do it on a littler ISP. I wish you all the luck here.

onto the pop3 problem...
    I'm still not sure what the problem is here...it accepts the login and password when I do it from the local host but remotely it will not accept the user and password...

When you say add a user you do mean simply create an account using the same process you would to create a local login right? Or am I missing something there?

I was under the impression that if the user existed in my login that it would automatically create a pop3 login as well...
    This is true all you have to do is add a normal user and that will automatically add them to a pop3 account. Make sure you have pop3 running.
    netstat -pant

I even made sure to assign the users to the MAIL group although I thought that might be overkill....
    This is overkill not needed.
    Something to look at. When you are configuring your mail from in the client(remotely) Make sure you do not have ssl or autentication clicked on the server tab in outlook.
    Thanks for your help but it's looking like I might have to either pay for email hosting or the static IP....
    You are very welcome.
    I did try adding 0.0.0.0 to the localhosts file as well...
    I think it is simply the dynamic IP that is tripping me up on the sendmail...
    Pop3 I'm clueless on...Funny thing is that is supposed to be the EASY part to get working....just turn it on! LOL
    Don't give up you are almost there. Atleast work out our pop 3 stuff. My guess is since you have it running locally it works remotely too but you have something configured wrong on the client.

Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    Don't ask me how except with the aside of WITH YOUR HELP....LOL

But somehow it is working great now INCLUDING sending to my outside account with earthlink!

I got really frustrated and reinstalled the entire OS...This cleared out all the garbage I had put into the configs....
    Used what I learned from you in regards to sendmail and translated that into the postfix configurations since that is installed by default in Suse 9.2 Pro....

I can't send mail from outside the local net but that is not really a problem and can be easily solved by a static IP I'm willing to bet but since it really isn't all that important to be able to send email on the road it's an ignorable quirk right now....

On the pop3 problem (also fixed! Yeah!) part of the problem with Suse is it installs 4 different POP daemons in it's XInet.d system...
    Pop2, Pop3, Pop3s and another pop3 using Qpopper....I knew pop3s was the SSL variety so never used it.
    I had been using the standard pop3 but this time around used the Qpopper entry instead....that seems to have done the trick!

Point is it is working rec and snd and sending to outside servers as well.
    Part of that problem might have been present was an interface config where the smtp didn't know what the IP was other than localhost. Once I added $myhostname to the interfaces it seems to have solved the problem.

I really can't thank you enough dude....this was the one problem that was stopping me from going ahead and configuring the rest of the services and uploading webstuff...

Now it's off to mamboland! LOL

I'm tempted to backup the entire system just so if anything ever happens I won't have to go through this again! LOL

Again Thanks a million!

I can't send mail from outside the local net but that is not really a problem and can be easily solved by a static IP I'm willing to bet but since it really isn't all that important to be able to send email on the road it's an ignorable quirk right now....
    I am afraid that I don't know postfix or qmail simply because I use FEDORA/REDHAT - but I do know you can't send mail remotely because you have to allow relay to do so. Here is what I do.
    I try and send a mail it will error. then go to /var/log/maillog and look at the error and it will show you the ip address that you are trying to send with. In redhat you will need to add that address into the /etc/mail/access file -not sure about SUSE. then you will need to restart the service.
    in sendmail example
    214.245.54.16 RELAY
    or if you want the domain (be careful here do not add HOTMAIL etc.)
    myschooldomain.edu RELAY
    or
    mybuddydomain.net RELAY

Sometimes people can help indirectly or by getting another person just to think about something. I wish I could be more help but I use sendmail and Ipop3. The fundementals are the same but some aspects are different. I am glad you have everything working. If you have any more questions don't hesitate.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    Dude you have been a big help...
    90% of my problem is I have used Windows server for most of my life and decided to get REAL with my server for once! LOL I just needed to know what settings were really important so I could leave the rest alone!
    Postfix and Sendmail are quite similar it's really just a matter where on the machine the configs are. Suse thankfully sets up most of it for you it's just that it doesn't configure the domain stuff since it really doesn't know anything but the local domain....you helped put me on the right track in understanding what it needed to know!

the sending remotely is really not a problem at all in fact I tend to take it as an added security feature so that my server won't be used as a spam service...Unless they are connected to my local net they can't send plain and simple!

the real important thing was the ability to let the web server (same machine) do some mail sending such as subscription services and site notices. And the ability to read some accounts from outside the box for notification emails and the like. I just wanted to be able to do that on my windows box as that is the box I'm using all the time and check email regularly....Other than that I don't really expect to have any foregn IPs connecting to the mail server anyway.

As for the accounts that will send email it is really just site related stuff like admin webmaster and sales accounts that would all be on the local net anyway. If I ever really needed to have outside sources use these accounts I figured I could always set up VPN access for them anyway which would solve the localnet restrictions and some other problems as well such as access to any other services they would need from the host that I wouldn't want outside sources aside from site users to get into anyway...

I really just needed the site and a few generic accounts to be able to send emails to users and the ability to check for replies on the windows machine...
    And that's all working thanks to your help!

Part of my problem is I made it out to be a little more complicated than I should have at the start...configured too much like masquerading which I really didn't need...
    you know what they say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing? well it's true! LOL

Bottom line is I'm set and good to go with what I have...
    I'm not messing with it anymore I'm onto getting the damn IRCD to accept my OLine configs now! LOL
    Another thing that should be easy but isn't! LOL

Part of my problem is I made it out to be a little more complicated than I should have at the start...configured too much like masquerading which I really didn't need...
    you know what they say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing? well it's true! LOL
    This is common. I find that a lot. Usually with Linux they have it all set up you just need to fill in the unknown (IP,Domain), and it works just about with any service. We tend to think that Linux is hard and somethimes thats what makes it hard.

I am glad that I got you pointed in the right direction. (Especially when you asked for me at the beginning.)

Good Luck,
    Mike
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    LOL I asked for you because in every thread I had looked in up till that point on the problem, soon after you answered someone the problem was solved!

Add another to the list!

Just Joined!
    Hey asphyx

I'm trying to accomplish what you have accomplished. I haven't started to touch any files util i have pretty good over view of what you've done. Is there a way for u to post what files and what needs to be done to get this to work.

I also have a dynamic ip, dyndns is taking care of dns, i have a domain name. I'm also running suse 9.2

Thanks,

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast