Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know there are some logs ( system or application log ) in the system , but I have some experience that sometimes these logs will growth to a unlimited ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    ust
    Just Joined!

file size limit

I know there are some logs ( system or application log ) in the system , but I have some experience that sometimes these logs will growth to a unlimited size until the system is full ( maybe caused by system error ) , so that the system will be shutdown suddenly , is it possible to limit the log size ? or take some action such as gzip the file or inform system administrator when the file size over a certain of limit ? could provide suggestion ? thx.

Look into logrotate you can get it gzip and move your logs. This is a good reason why you should put /var on its own partition for servers, then if the logs fill up all the space left then the rest of the system will still live

ust
    Just Joined!
    thx reply ,

I hv man the logrotate , it seems very good , but I am not too understand how to use it , I find the below example , I want to ask if I want to compress the /var/log/messages and mail to administrator when it reach 100M size , how to set it ? thx in advance.

# sample logrotate configuration file
    compress

/var/log/messages {
    rotate 5
    weekly
    postrotate
    /sbin/killall -HUP syslogd
    endscript
    }

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close