Find the answer to your Linux question:
okaay so i got apache, mysql, php running...i just bought a new domain name (robotcult.net) to try out with the server but how do i find the name server so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

newbie: apache nameserver domain etc...

okaay so i got apache, mysql, php running...i just bought a new domain name (robotcult.net) to try out with the server but how do i find the name server so i can update the domain registration page? right now my server works with no-ip.com's http://robotcult.zapto.org ...actually i havent checked it from outside my network but... its directed to 68.187.230.162:8080 and on the linux box im listening to 192.168.1.129:8080 ...is the former ip the dns/nameserver?? any help will be greatly appreciated

Well, I can see your Apache page. Apparently, according to you, because of that I am a **** smuggler.

68.187.23.162 would be your external IP address. The 192.x.x.x address would be your internal IP address.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    haha errr :/ well i'm glad it works so far! :P

so do i use the external address as my nameserver and it asks for two so blaahhh

i have also read about BIND for dynamic ip addresses...i assume i need this..?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Since I can get to your site, the internet's name servers are doing their job. Unless you want to set up a caching server for your internal network, you don't really NEED a nameserver, and if you're hosting then I assume you're set up with a static IP address externally. If not, then you probably will want to visit dyndns.org
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

I am a **** smuggler too. lol...
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    haha ok i understand that its not needed but if someone types robotcult.net i want them to go to that **** smuggler page and eventually the site that ill have up there. but when i type 68.187.230.162:8080 or just 68.187.230.162 into the nameserver update on the registrars page (godaddy.com) it just says "Nameserver 1 has an invalid TLD" and i have no idea what that means... ugh im sorry maybe if i had some sleep in me this would be easier.... eeeyyaa thanks so far for your help guys!!!!!!

Just Joined!
    http://zoneedit.com

this is a good name server service i use it and it works well.

Just Joined!
    thanks a ton for your help guys!! right now i just have it set with forwarding and domain masking so it works for me for now...when i have a couple extra $$ ill try out zoneedit or dyndns servicesssss! now on to learning how to actually use apache...