Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am runing suse 9.1 on my computer and i would like to set it up to were i can make my hole HD a FTP/File server, were people can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

set-up ftp

I am runing suse 9.1 on my computer and i would like to set it up to were i can make my hole HD a FTP/File server, were people can use my HD and a ftp/file holder, so they can upload and download stuff with remote access, also want to be able to access my hole computer when on different computer someone eles. please if you have a step-by-step guide or URL to help me please send it to me. If you dont understand what i want then please tell me also.

Just Joined!

maybe this will help?

I found this about setting up an ftp server. I hope you find it usefull.

They have more step by step how-to's

Linux Newbie
    use vsftpd, its damn good !!!

http://www.siliconvalleyccie.com/lin...ftp-server.htm

This is where I always refer to when using vsftpd. There are some more issues to take care of, but its better not to mention them now, first setup your ftp server, then see what more requirements you need, if you are unable to find a solution, post here, I'll try to help ....

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Any hint on how to go about making alias folders for all users?

I couldn't find out how to do this or even set the folder FTP takes everyone to...
    I suppose because I use the CHROOT Jail option but it seemed the safe thing to do for the initial setup

Just Joined!
    what about if i have like a router goign to it? will i have to do like portward to enable people to get into the ftp?

Just Joined!
    If you have to accessit from the ouside (eg. internet) you have to forward the ports. for local use only, you can access it by eihter IP or computername

Just Joined!

vsftp uses local accounts

Add a user to your system and they will have a directory and account

Just Joined!
    i now how to post forward for like gaming like blizzard and stuff can u tell me the ports for like FTP? for linksys

Just Joined!

ports

the ports for ftp are 20 and 21 (tcp/udp)

a quick google on 'tcp port list' gives you loads of sites

Linux Enthusiast
    Just a side note,

FTP uses only TCP not UDP.

TCP:20 is only used for Active FTP, and is connected FTP-server -> Client
    While TCP:21 is connected Client -> FTP-Server

In Passive FTP, any port from 1024 - 65535 can be used (configuration issue), and is connected Client -> FTP Server.

What about these ports then.
    TCP:21 is the controll port, which is used when you logg in and authenticats.
    Communication controlling is ftp-client -> FTP Server, i.e. the client sets up a connection/session to the FTP server
    TCP:20 (Active FTP) is the Data port. Where all your transfer goes through.
    Communication controlling is FTP Server -> ftp-client, i.e. FTP server sets up a connection/session to the client
    TCP:1024-65535 (Passive FTP) is also the Data port, but here it is the client that has set up the connection/session to the FTP server.

*huh*
    However, there are a few flaws with FTP, from a Windows box DOS shell, when you run "ftp ftp.nn.nn" you will only be able to use Active FTP
    Which most FW admins do not like to have, unless you are using some FTP proxy.
    Passive FTP on the other hand is very secure for the client, since no what so ever connections are made back to your client. But, (theres allways a BUT), then you need to secure your FTP server, and prefferable narrow down the port usage from 1024-65535 to lets say 20000-20010,
    and make sure that none what so ever service is terminating on those ports on your server exept your FTP server.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast