Find the answer to your Linux question:
also i am trying to hook up a lan to it and one pc sees it but the other doesnot how do i get linux to see and respond in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

lan setup

also i am trying to hook up a lan to it and one pc sees it but the other doesnot how do i get linux to see and respond in NetBEUI protocol as im on cable with a hub and use dhcp and o pc has ip 65.*.*.* and linux and other pc have ip 22.*.*.* any ideas ???

First things first: The physical networking hardware.

You say you have a cable internet connection and a hub. Is that true? Typically, you will need a router also to connect more than one computer at a time to a cable internet connection. You can actually use a computer with two network cards as a router, but hardware routers are inexpensive and easier to set up.

Second: Linux network card configuration.

What distribution of Linux did you install? Most Linux distributions will use DHCP by default. Not all of them do. Some Linux distributions include easy to use network card configuration utilities. If you're just starting out with Linux, it may be worth switching now to an "easier" one, like Mepis.

Third: NetBEUI protocol software.

The easiest way to use your Windows network from a Linux computer is to use the application "smb4k". It's a lot like My Network Places in Windows--you can browse other computers and click on their shares to open them up.

The way to install smb4k depends on what distribution you are using. Mepis has smb4k already installed.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Just Joined!
    IsaacKuo First thanks you for the reply and yes im on cable internet at adelphia.net and i have a hub and a router i also pay aditional $$ for 5 ipaddresses one is used by the router and kids pc`s other 4 ips are threw the hub one is a linux mandrake 9.2 i gave up on lan with that box long ago two are win 2kpro boxes and finnaly i have the new linux mandrake 10 box which is what im on now

Is there a particular reason why you want/need 5 separate IP addresses? It's simpler to set things up so that you just use one IP address (through the router).

Anyway, I'm not familiar with configuring Mandrake specifically; I suppose you could get more expert help in the Mandrake forum.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Just Joined!

5 ips

yea i have a reason for neading more than one ip i serv a website

http://www.herbnet.ath.cx:8001/

and an irc server
    irc://herbnet.kicks-ass.net/

from here and like to do so on seperate ips from my main pc