Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK, if I make a mounted image... Code: dd if=/dev/zero of=apacheimage bs=1M count=100 mke2fs -m 0 -F apacheimage mount -t ext2 -o loop apacheimage /chroot/apache ...and copied chrooted apache to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Running chroot off mounted image?

OK, if I make a mounted image...
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=apacheimage bs=1M count=100
    mke2fs -m 0 -F apacheimage
    mount -t ext2 -o loop apacheimage /chroot/apache
    ...and copied chrooted apache to it, and ran chroot on it, would this be anymore/less secure then just running it chrooted off of the root fs? Also, running off the loop, would I take a performance hit? I don't have much ram available. I got thinking about this last night and realized that this would be make backups and restoring a snap (copy the image and then mount the copy).

performance would be a major killer here, while I can't think of a serious security issue, the more services running, the more likely you will have an issue. It might be worth a shot, but your really better off storing as much as possible localy.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    hmm, well, I guess I'll try it out and see if the loop takes too many resources then.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    hmmm, well, I did a few quick tests, the loop fs wrote faster, read faster, and didn't take up anymore resources than the normal fs. I'll try to run a few services from a loop, but I have no clue how I'll benchmark apache, bind, etc.