Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am new to the all versions of the linux OS world. I am running Red Hat 9 and i am working on a class project. My objectives are to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need Help FAST....Web server..

I am new to the all versions of the linux OS world. I am running Red Hat 9 and i am working on a class project.

My objectives are to create a web server

- Modify it to access an Microsoft SQL server
    and use a scripting language to query the SQL server

so far i have apache up and running but i have no clue how to get this server to communicate with the microsoft sql server. i know it has soemthing to do with free TDS but i am a complete newbie. i don't know how to install anything. i also need to know how to access computers on the domain i am on. what confiurgation settings must be set for this to work? and what must i do to get on the domain?

If anyone can help me out with anything it would be a huge help..i am on week6 of a 7 week project and i'm startin to sweat..

-Jomo

Linux Enthusiast
    With Apache and communication with MS-SQL, you should really have a look into PHP, where there are several of examples how to interact Apache and MS-SQL server.

As for communication between you Linux and WIndows servers, check out the Samba server/client

Just Joined!
    is part of the requirment that is be a MICROSOFT sql server, if not i would use mysql, buch easier to access from php, which would be your best bet when trying to access any database on linux.

Just Joined!
    The MS-SQL server is already set-up. I need to communicate with it using redhat9...my instructor says i must use a scripting language to query the SQL server. I am in the dark on this one. if anyone had any step by step processes that i can look at it would be a great help. I only have one more 5 hour class to complete it and if i don't i'm in trouble.

-Jomo

Linux Enthusiast
    Well, as I stated earlier, you should have a look at PHP which is a scriptin language for Apache server. And it do support Microsoft SQL server as well. Just do some research on that site, and you'll pass your exam.

Just Joined!
    simple solution for a server:

http://www.apachefriends.org

Great little set called Xampp.

Just Joined!
    can anyone find a "user-friendly" version of configuring FreeTDS because i usually use windows and none of the help files out there have been easy enough for me to understand.

Just Joined!
    i at a road block with freeTDS is gives me an error when i try to use "tsql" it says.....

"bash:tsql: command not found"

i am in the directory where the command is stored so i don't know what is wrong..