Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to decide which version of apache to install on my new webserver... php4 which gives no problems at all when installing MySQL, or php5 which is more ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

PHP5 and MySQL

I am trying to decide which version of apache to install on my new webserver... php4 which gives no problems at all when installing MySQL, or php5 which is more up to date but doesnt come with MySQL support built in. I would prefer to go for php5 but im not sure how to go about compiling it for MySQL and there doesnt seem to be an awful lot of helpful documentation about.

What would people recommend? Also, if anyone could guide me through the installation of both, which order to do it in etc. or just give me a shove in the right direction that would be great!!

Linux Engineer
    I say go with the newest of everthing. PHP 5 does come with mysql support and it can be built in (modules are built in by default). Read the readme files for install instructions, they will either tell you them or point you in the right places. Really it's all just ./configure && make && make install. Check ./configure --help to see what options you might want. With PHP, be sure to enable mysql and apache in the configure options.

Linux Guru
    there is online documentation here that shows how to install php5 and apache 1.3:
    http://www.php.net/manual/en/install...ll.unix.apache

PHP with apache 2 is detailed here:
    http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.unix.apache2.php

There have been numerious compatibility problems with php 4.3.x and apache 2.x, so i've always used apache 1.3 which has served my needs well enough.

edited: added apache2 link