Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all! What it comes down to is really simple. I am starting a hosting server, and due to crappy options and lack of money I have a dynamic IP. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie questions about DNS

Hey all!

What it comes down to is really simple. I am starting a hosting server, and due to crappy options and lack of money I have a dynamic IP.

At any rate, I want to start my own DNS, to take care of this, cause I can write a script to update my IP on my DNS anytime I want. Much like the Dynamic DNS options out there.

Does anyone know if there is anything else I need to do other than start the server with my DNS listings?

Do I need to register it anywhere?

Adam

Linux Enthusiast
    I don't know of any free DynDNS providers out there where you whish to use your own domain name(s).
    However, I know that DynDNS.org can provide this feature for you as a service, however, I am quite sure that they have started to fee a small amount for this. The only free of charge, is when you use theire standard domain name(s) as your-server-name.dyndns.org and so on.
    None of the registrators that I know about, will allow dynamic updates on the root-servers.

Just Joined!
    exactly why I am asking about setting up my own DNS.

BTW - the fee is about $25/year for Dynamic forwarding on a full domain.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Yes, I do realize that, but due to the nature of how DNS works, the root-dns servers has to know where to find the base name servers for you domain, and they wont do know that when you do have a dynamic ip. That's why you have to host your domain at providers like DynDNS.
    Ok, have not checked the fee for a while, since I don't have the need for my self (Static IP is my friend)

Just Joined!
    You could do what I have done. I have a cable modem (time warner RR) and it is also dynamic. Most high speed
    connections will give you an address in 15 minute blocks - as long as you are connected it will not change. You can go years on the same address. So first put your connection on an UPS, then run a hardware firewall/ router after the modem and connect all your computers to a switch behind this. I then set up a linux or unix box to run DNS, give myself a name, use the private IP addresses, make DNS a forwarder. The forwarder IP address is the address of your ISP's DNS. I then give all my local boxes fixed IP addresses. You do not have to have anything registered to make it work. I have even run mail servers etc. In each box you should list your DNS server's IP first and use the outside one as a backup. That way if your dns does not work you can still connect to the internet. Your gateway IP is the address you give your router. I have several computers, three network printers, a private webserver all running like this.
    I have even run a public webserver ( not currently). You can even leave your boxes to configure dynamically but that takes more work setting up.

Just Joined!
    im not completely sure to exactly what it is you want, however, i purchased a domain name, thegoshem.com, for $4.95 for A WHOLE YEAR from www.netfirms.com, all this includes is the domain name, they give u 25mb of storage for free but its add supported, so i dont use their storage and use my own linux box in my basement, anyways, i wanted to be able to change MX records and things so i could get email sent to my server, i found a website that does that, and i guess its kinda like giving you your own DNS... you could do something similar in dyndns.org i guess but if u purchase a domain name for $4.95 i think this is much better prolly

check it out: http://www.zoneedit.com/

Edit: and so u know, i have a dynamic ip myself and thats what i use.

Linux Newbie
    utahcon, what you want to do can't be done. You see, you'd have to update your dns server's IP at the place you registered your domain. You see, people has to know what IP address your dns server has before they can even query that dns server. This is done at your registrar, which you cannot automate without pissing them off (automated web requests to their register name servers script).

I suggest using one of the following free dns hosting services:
    http://www.dollardns.net/compare.html

I recommend any of the top 3. All 3 of the top dns hosting providers has a dynamic IP client.