Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
With all the traffic on this topic, seems like there should be a separate forum. I have two WinXP PCs networked thru a router and cable modem. I added a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba with WinXP and Suse 9.2

With all the traffic on this topic, seems like there should be a separate forum.

I have two WinXP PCs networked thru a router and cable modem. I added a box with SUSE 9.2. Everything works as far as connecting to the internet. The SUSE box can browse files on the two PCs.

After reading several posts on these forums, I have Samba Server installed and can now see three samba folders from my PCs:

"groups on Samba", "users on Samba", and "profiles on Samba."

When I click on any of these I get a "Connecting to Linux" dialog box for User Name and Password.

What I have not been able to figure out is how to set up the proper accounts on the WinXP PCs and on the SUSE box. I guess I'm too new to linux but am trying to learn as I go. Someone mentioned the book "SUSE Bible" or something like that.

My goal like many of the new posts here is to set the SUSE box as a file and printer server for my PCs.

Any detailed help for completing my setup would be very appreciated ans sorry if this answer has already been posted here but I have been searching like mad on these forums for detailed help on setting up the prpoer user accounts. Please don't assume I know anything yet about SUSE or any other distr. Thanks in advance.

Also, my two printers on the SUSE box are found by the WinXP PCs but are tagged as "Access denied - unable to connect"

Just Joined!
    On the Linux box with Samba try adding a Samba user like this:

Code:
    # smbpasswd -a chris
    You will then enter the password twice and this new Samba user will be added. When connecting to the Samba shares from Windows, use this account! Voila!

Don't forget to go into the Security and Users section of YaST and enter the Firewall module so you can set your machine to accept samba connections.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    Don't forget to go into the Security and Users section of YaST and enter the Firewall module so you can set your machine to accept samba connections.
    I did that but found I still couldn't connect until my firewall was switched off. I'm still trying to work out how to have the firewall on and use samba...

Mark

Did you open the ports in the Firewall setup? I discovered that not all the relevant ports for Windows are opened when you allow samba (it works wonderfully for linux clients, though) and in expert mode you have to additionally open the following:

TCP: 137,138,139
    UDP: 137
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    I understand I need to setup samba accounts using the smdpasswd command but how do I do that? Like I said, assume I don't know anything. I'm in the process of getting a book on SUSE networking but it's not here yet.

smbpasswd -a <username>

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Thanks Flatline. I quess I should have asked "Where?" do I enter the command. Sorry for my ignorance but I'm learning. Could you take me through this from the desktop? I tried a couple of times and got a few error messages. I'll post the messages tonight from home if I can't get this working. Thanks again for the help.

Just Joined!
    My question now is as to how you got this far without knowing how to get to the command line>?

FYI: My original post was "# smbpasswd -a <username>", where the hash denotes a command prompt.

In Suse 9.2, you can open a terminal by using Start --> System --> Terminals --> Konsole. When you're in there, you can become root by typing
    Code:
    su
    and then entering your administrator password. Then you can run the command we gave you.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast