Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have courier installed and squirrelmail etc... When I try to login to squirrelmail with a user account it give me an error saying "connection dropped by imap server". When ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't authenticate with IMAP

I have courier installed and squirrelmail etc... When I try to login to squirrelmail with a user account it give me an error saying "connection dropped by imap server". When I try to login with an account not on the system it says wrong username or invalid password. courierauthtest does not work either for any account on the system. I looked at courier-config and noticed the arguement --without-authpwd. Shouldn't this be --with-authpwd since this is the module which gets all the password information from my system?

Linux Enthusiast
    The best way to debug exactly what is happening would be to see the raw transaction. To do this, you can run:

Code:
    telnet localhost 143
    Then it will prompt you with:

Code:
    Trying 0.0.0.0...
    Connected to 0.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE ACL ACL2=UNION STARTTLS] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2004 Double Precision, Inc.  See COPYING for distribution information.
    Once you see this, type:

Code:
    . login username password
    This will show you the actual error.

Let us know how this works out.

--
    Samuel
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.