Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I use www.no-ip.com for my home sys and it works fine and there is a free service available...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    flw
    Linux Engineer

I use www.no-ip.com for my home sys and it works fine and there is a free service available
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

now i remember where i heard about that page it was from you. i couldnt remember where i had heard of it. could you tell use alittle about www.no-ip.com like how it works and what it is exactly. thanks flw.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

flw
    Linux Engineer
    You signup for a account with http://www.no-ip.com and pick a username which will be part of your domain name instead of having to use a ip. Example is if I pick "fastlanwan" my web site address would be http://fastlanwan.no-ip.com .

You do install a client application for your OS (don't know if Linux is a option or not) that checks your ip every startup and if it changes notifys no-ip.com which makes the dns change for you (when connection is present). Example if it your domain name to 63.24.56.80 and your ISP changes your ip to 63.24.57.81 the domain name now points to the new ip.

If you use apache or IIS you will still have to make the changes there, but if fixed ip's are not available for any cost (my situation) then no-ip.com is the way to go and again its free. I've been using it for about 3 or 4 months now and its been fine from the start.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I have a similar service like this already at dyndns.org, but I was wondering about getting rid of the subdomain service and getting the full yourdomain.com... I just guess it's not really an option unless I pay money

would no-ip work behind a router? im not thinking it would cause you would have to find out what the ip of the router was not each computer.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com

Just Joined!
    most services like this, have software you'll need to install that will update your IP address automatically, and most of that software can get the IP address from your router, or have a remote website check your router's IP address. So, yes the service works with a router, but you just have to set it up properly

well i mite have to look into that more then. huh
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2