Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hey everyone im trying to get my web site up and running i can access it from with in the lan but i was wondering if i could have one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

testing my webserver

hey everyone im trying to get my web site up and running i can access it from with in the lan but i was wondering if i could have one of you guys test and see if you can access it from across the net. thanks alot if you try.
    http://www.kylekonline.com if it comes up it will jst be a plain site that came with apache and mandrake. but at the top it will say something like Welcome to KyleKonline.com. thanks again.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Sorry but I get:

The page cannot be displayed

Have you already registered your FQDN over 24 hrs ago or more with your current ip? If you just made the change in ip or registered give us the ip for now so we can skip any dns issues.

Edit: I can ping your machine but can't get the page by ip so its something else. You are still on port 80?

Edit: I don't detect any web server and I scanned port 78 to 82 (just incase you used a alternate port) and there all closed. Your mail ports are still open. I'm going to bed soon so good luck.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

well actually the DNS server should be running i havent made any changes to it in quite a while and yeah i am using port 80 and it should be open or atleast i think i have opened it. if it helps i am using a D-Link DL-604 there are 2 types of DL-604's i dont know if that matters but mine is the one that has "h/w:c1 f/w:2.18" on the lable on bottom. where you able to get my IP if not i will give it to you thru IM but maybe wait till tomorrow sometime cause i was logged on to my DNS server today but i dont think i changed anything but i mite have and that was at like 3 or so central time. thanks
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Page is coming up fine now

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Here's confirmation on page coming up
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

That's a big 10-4 from here on website loading.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Guru
    Consider a couple of thing's for security:

have a look in the tutorials section for a guide about securing apache server. Especially try off the server information, as it gives my quite a bit of info about your system:

Code:
    jason@simpson:~$ telnet 24.116.41.69 80
    Trying 24.116.41.69...
    Connected to 24.116.41.69.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    GET / HTTP/1.0
    HOST: www.kylekonline.com

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:47:03 GMT
    Server: Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/1.3.20 (Mandrake Linux/3mdk) mod_ssl/2.8.4 OpenSSL/0.9.6b PHP/4.0.6
    Connection: close
    Content-Type: text/html

<page contents snipped>

Also consider upgrading your PHP module to the latest version, and also upgrade apache to use 1.3.27 or the latest 2x version.

Jason

thanks guys now all i have to do is get my roommates server up and running using a different port and then everything will be working great and i will look into the tutorial and try to secury it up nice and tight. thanks again.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com

Just Joined!
    I own a few domains but never got to use them on my computer because i have a dynamic IP address, does anyone know a free way to get this to work for me? the only reasonable thing i've found so far was http://www.dhs.org/ but they want $5 and i'm a cheap person.

i have a dynamic IP addy also but if my IP changes then i will go and change it in my dns server. but you can look at www.no-ip.com but i beleive they cost money as well. im jst goin to change my dns server everytime it changes but it doenst change all that often or atleast i dont htink it does. i will jst wait and see i guess.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast