Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Is there much of a difference (in terms of speed, security and stability) between running Apache2 on win98se and Apache2 on some linux distribution? (how do I set permissions in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Making my own webserver.

Is there much of a difference (in terms of speed, security and stability) between running Apache2 on win98se and Apache2 on some linux distribution? (how do I set permissions in windows? like '777'?)

I wanted to setup a webserver with my home computer with mysql, php, apache2, ssh, and maybe ftp(if it's secure enough).

Ideally, I would like to be able to just turn on my computer and my server is up and running (When a game server crashes, it just restarts by itself?).
    I don't really like working in a linux gui, i much prefer the windows one.

I may plan to later buy an xbox(if the price is in my league) and use that as a server instead. My computer is pretty loud and my dad dosen't like me running it overnight (is an xbox quiet?).

My server will host a blog, some pictures, some video game footage of me (large file sizes changes the way I setup a server?), random information and rants, member login for my friends, just stuff like that.

I have used apache, php, and mysql in windows98se before and it worked pretty nice. Problem was, i was just concerned about security. I had to enable DMZ (basically opening all ports) on my router to get the world to see my server. I've used several linux distros but quit after having a terrible time of trying to install gentoo. I'm better than the average computer user, so if you help me I'll be competent.

I don't want a GUI eating up processing power, I just turn off my monitor and head on out to school. Yeah, if disabling video and sound will make my server go faster, then...'Make it so.'

Yes, I would enjoy a 24/7 webserver very much. So, any suggestions as to how I should approach this 'need of a server' problem? Which linux distro would be best suited for my needs? I heard Debian is pretty good for a server and my school recently switched from slackware to debian.
    Any help is greatly apreciated, I thank you for your time!

As for which distro, I'd have a look at http://distrowatch.com but realy any one will do if you don't use X.

Slackware comes with apache on the install cd's I think, while you might have to apg-get it on debian, but both ar very good dristro's.

As for security, it is very easy to settup on apache, you should read its docs at http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    So I should definately use linux over windows? Is the difference major?
    Will an xbox's speed be sufficient if used as a websever?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Since you want to have it up 24/7 I'd advise linux since it almost never crashes, also linux is a much more secure as an operation system, so if in the unlikly event you get hacked, the danmage will be much less, than if it happend in Windows.
    I don't know I'f the Xbox will be enough to run a web server, but most likly it is.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Engineer
    Don't run that under Windows. Apache isn't very great on Windows, and even less great on 98. And with all them servers, Windows wouldn't last long at all before it crashed or needed to reboot.

Here i'll help you............

If you're looking for a serve distribution i'd recommend Caldera OpenLinux eServer 2.3, e-Smith SME Server 5.5 or TurboLinux Server 6.5. Each individual cd I can get you for just 2.49 without having to pay shipping. As for the xbox, don't wasted you're money. Why? Because in order to use the xbox as a server you'd have to hack it. Which also means that you wouldn't be able to use it as an xbox if you chose to do this. You see Micosoft put anti-Linux protection in it to prevent anyone from using it as a desktop, server...etc.

Just Joined!
    That would be awesome, but how can you give me that software at such a low price?
    And also, I could hack the xbox, but I really wouldn't be interested in playing games on it. Besides, the hacking way I'd choose would be reversible if I ever wanted to use it as a gaming console.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_The_Lionhearted
    Here i'll help you............

If you're looking for a serve distribution i'd recommend Caldera OpenLinux eServer 2.3 .
    Do not ever use SCO software. I think explanation is not necessary.
    I\'m so tired .....

Quote Originally Posted by okih-imus
    That would be awesome, but how can you give me that software at such a low price?
    And also, I could hack the xbox, but I really wouldn't be interested in playing games on it. Besides, the hacking way I'd choose would be reversible if I ever wanted to use it as a gaming console.
    Oh I won't be the one giving you the software but a place I know will. Just tell me which one you want. Also if you're interested in hacking the xbox check here http://www.xbox-linux.org/

by the way its irreversible.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_The_Lionhearted
    by the way its irreversible.
    I know this is my first post, but I feel I have to correct you.

You CAN mod an xbox to run linux and reverse the process, You can even have your xbox as an xbox and have linux on it at the same time.

Please dont take offence, but I mod xbox's for a living, and just wanted people to know what is possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast