Find the answer to your Linux question:
I will be running two servers on Linux, but i have yet to decidewhat distro to put on each. The first is: 133 MHz w/ 84MB or RAM 550MB HDD ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Please Advise on Choice of Distro

I will be running two servers on Linux, but i have yet to decidewhat distro to put on each.

The first is:

133 MHz w/ 84MB or RAM
    550MB HDD

This will be a small webserver.

And my second server is:

Dual Athalon XP (Modded) 2400+
    4GB ECC Registered
    5GB HDD

This is to be used for hosting Counter-Strike:Source and HL2DM servers.

Please advise on which distro would be best in each situation.

I have both of those servers already plus two dns and a mail server. I am using Fedora Core 3 with no x
    BTW my Cstrike server is a 900 celeron with a gig and half of ram and it also hosts source and Halflife 2.
    It handles it just fine.
    My vote is for Fedora Core 3 server install. (No X)
    If you decide to go this route I just wanted to let you know that I don't add the firewall during the install.

Mike

I would try and find a little more hd for your first server I would try and get at least 2 gigs.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    Well, in the case of the first server, i was even considering using Zip Slack. Plus, the entire size of the site that i need to host is 15MB. So long as i can get perl + http server within 550MB, I'm good.

Now, i have another question: How well does Fedora Core 3 handle multiprocessors?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I have only used it on dual and it handles it fine. I am not sure about any more than that never tested it.

Not knowing the experience of users it is hard to advise on distros. Zip will prabably be fine if you are familiar with it but Fedora I a lot easier for the less experienced.

Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Fedora probably would be easier for a "noob" running a headless server, and so would Suse (YaST, the Suse control center, runs in the command line as well as it does in the GUI). However, if you're familiar with zip or just want to try something new, knock yourself out...I usually learn more by struggling with a problem than I do with flawless setups.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Well, i am a real noob. I cant even manage to get X started on my ASPLinux box, so that is just sitting there...

However, i dont assume i will need X or anything like that for my CS server.

What im looking at more than useability is speed, so what distro has the best Multiprocessor Support for servers?

Pretty much any of the distros will give you an smp kernel to work with (most of them will use it by default on a multiprocessor machine anyway).
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux User
    I've always run my servers off of first redhat, and now Fedora Core. My current server is running Fedora Core 3. I did choose to install X, just not start in it, as I sometimes use my server as a desktop when my primary computer is busy reinstalling the OS, which happens quite often, or as is the case right now, I'm just to lazy to walk halfway across the room

Just Joined!
    Why would Fedora be missing the "uncompress" utility?

I cant install the Halflife server without this, and have no clue where to get it.

Just Joined!
    FIXED

With "ln -s /bin/gunzip /bin/uncompress"