Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Okay, I am very much a Linux newbie. I'm trying to setup Squid as a Proxy server, and then install SquidGuard for a webfilter on this Mandrake 10.1 box (fresh ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Squid insallation on Mandrake 10.1

Okay, I am very much a Linux newbie. I'm trying to setup Squid as a Proxy server, and then install SquidGuard for a webfilter on this Mandrake 10.1 box (fresh install).

I've searched and read everything I could find to help me figure out the solution, but cannot.

Here's the problem:
    I've downloaded Squid (squid-1.5.STABLE9.tar.gz) and I've compiled it. I can run a "whereis squid" in the konsole, and it told me:
    "squid: /usr/local/squid"

Next I installed Webmin. However, whenever I try to get the modules pointing the right direction, it tells me "The squid executable squid does not exist....etc." The default settings in Webmin were pointing to the /etc/squid/bin directory. I changed it to point at the current directory (/usr/local/squid/bin), but the only executable is the squidclient. So, I changed it to sbin, as there is a squid file there. Still, same message in Webmin. So, I went through, and found where I could "install" squid by specifying a "prefix", and I did that, and made the changes in Webmin to point at /etc/squid/, but, still no luck.

So, I'm assuming I'm screwing up when trying to install it.

Any help would very much be appreciated guys (and gals!). Thanks in advance.

Linux Enthusiast
    Do a
    Code:
    which squid
    and use the result from there as your configuration in webmin. Wheris will show you all instances of the word "squid" from your filesystem, well almost at least.
    "which" command just searches your $PATH environment variable and outputs the result of this.

Just Joined!
    When doing a "which squid", I get:

"Which: no squid in (/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin)"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Hmm! Did you do
    Code:
    make install
    as root? Since you downloaded the source, you'll need to install the compiled binary files as well.
    However, Squid is part of MDK 10.1, so you should be able to install them as is. Try urpmi squid

Just Joined!
    That was installed as root, yes.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll give that a try. It's needing the installation DVD for those packages, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow (DVD is at the house).

Thanks again man. I'll let ya know how that goes.

Linux Enthusiast
    Well, you can change your default media and use an online media if you'd prefere that.
    http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ Will guide you through how to set up that. And then you can temporary disable your DVD/CD installation disc set

Just Joined!
    Wow. The more I play around on Linux the more I'm really liking it!

Okay, so I went through and selected the mirrors. However, is there something that supposed to appear for me to type in to select those as my media source? The only thing I see is:

"urpmi.removemedia -a"

Just Joined!
    Scratch that. I missed clicking on one of those buttons.

Linux Enthusiast
    Hmm! You should get something like this
    Code:
    urpmi.addmedia main ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/official/10.1/i586/media/main with media_info/hdlist.cz
    urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/official/10.1/i586/media/contrib with media_info/hdlist.cz
    In other words, you should have "urpmi.addmedia" and not "urpmi.removemedia"

Linux Enthusiast
    Scratch that. I missed clicking on one of those buttons.
    Ok! Explains the errenous commands your where adviced into

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast