Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm looking for help with how best to set up my 2 WinXP PCs and my Suse 9.2 linux PC. My goal is to use the Linux box to serve ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How best to share files and printers from linux to WinXP?

I'm looking for help with how best to set up my 2 WinXP PCs and my Suse 9.2 linux PC. My goal is to use the Linux box to serve my printers and also serve file space. I wanted to use the harddrives (Two 20GB internal, one 6GB external firewire) as a place to store data files.

In a previous thread (http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-37114.html), I was able to setup a PC with Suse 9.2 (PIII-450, 416MB, 2 printers and 3 harddrives).

Everything is networked (wired and wireless) through a switch/router and cable modem for internet.

Using Samba, I can access the WinXP PCs from linux and vice-versa. I can print from the WinXP PCs to the linux printers. To do so, I have to log in from the WinXP PC in Network Neighborhood. Once I have logged in, I'm not sure how to log out. I moved from my desktop PC to the laptop but could not log in a second time because I was already logged in on the desktop. How do you log out?

When I log in to the Linux share from either WinXP PC, I see my user folders but I don't know how much space I have available for that user. How do I take advantage of my available harddrive space on the 3 drives?

Is there a way to automate this (like mapping a network drive) so that the share on the linux box is always available to the WinXP PCs? It would be nice to be able to print to the printers without having to log in.

I'm definately new to linux and doing this primarily as a way to learn how to do this but would also like to learn the best way of doing this.

Linux User

Re: How best to share files and printers from linux to WinXP

Quote Originally Posted by klacombe
    Once I have logged in, I'm not sure how to log out. I moved from my desktop PC to the laptop but could not log in a second time because I was already logged in on the desktop. How do you log out?
    hmm... that sounds pretty odd to me.... what's the error message when you "could not log in a second time"? btw, to log out, click on the start button and choose log off, or start -> shutdown -> log off

When I log in to the Linux share from either WinXP PC, I see my user folders but I don't know how much space I have available for that user. How do I take advantage of my available harddrive space on the 3 drives?
    map the drive and you should be able to see the remaining space, if quota is enabled, you will see your remaining quota intead of the actual disk space

Is there a way to automate this (like mapping a network drive) so that the share on the linux box is always available to the WinXP PCs? It would be nice to be able to print to the printers without having to log in.
    two ways:
    1) put a batch script in your start up folder, which contains something like:

Code:
    net use z: \\samba_server_name\shared_directory
    net use y: \\samba_server_name\another+shared+directory
    2) turn samba into domain controller and implement it as logon.bat

good luck