Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed MySQL 3.23.54a1, (server, client, and shared libraries) on my RH 7.2 machine using the RPM packages from mysql.com. Everything seemed to install fine, and I even have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Missing mysql.sock

I just installed MySQL 3.23.54a1, (server, client, and shared libraries) on my RH 7.2 machine using the RPM packages from mysql.com. Everything seemed to install fine, and I even have three instances of mysqld running when I check my processes.
    However, any time I try and do anything with it, either with mysql or mysqladmin, I get the following message:

mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
    error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)'

Sure enough, mysql.sock isn't in that path, and in fact it's nowhere on my machine. Not even in /tmp, where I think it used to be kept. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance,
    Jeremiah

Linux Guru
    See in /proc which socket inodes mysqld keeps open and cross-reference them to /proc/net/unix and /proc/net/tcp to see where it listens.

Linux Enthusiast
    mysql isn't starting up correctly. This is a FAQ somewhere on their site, look through logs to find out why.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!

mysql.sock found

Thanks for the replies to my problem; however I think it was due to my relative inexperience with all this- not something more complex. I had started the mysqld without being root, and so all the necessary files couldn't be created because permissions were denied.
    So when I tried restarting the daemon as root (# /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld restart), it told me that it had failed to stop, but it started ok. This of course caused some problems, so I had to manually kill the mysqld processes and start it again. Everything seems fine now (I have my mysql.sock, log files are being generated, etc.), but now I'm getting the 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost'' error, though it says '(Using password: NO)'. I know I've seen posts for this problem, so it's just a matter of beginning my search for them again.
    Anyway, thanks for the help nonetheless.
    Jeremiah

Linux Guru
    As I know, the (Using Password: NO) means that you are trying to log in without using a password, so specifying the -p switch to mysql should fix the problem.