Find the answer to your Linux question:
first question: I've installed mandrakelinux 10.1 with apache. Now I want to put files in the document directory (/var/www/html), but its permissions are 755 with owner apache. This means I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

publishing pages on web

first question:
    I've installed mandrakelinux 10.1 with apache. Now I want to put files in the document directory (/var/www/html), but its permissions are 755 with owner apache. This means I can't put there files as normal user. Do I have to put files there as root or could I change the ownership to myself with chown?

second question:
    How could I set up a ftp-server for uploading files to this directory from my winxp pc?

Thanx in advance (and sorry for my bad english)

Peter Smit

Linux Newbie
    They can be any owner you want provided that apache can read the files. This is how I have my web stuff setup.

mkdir -p /var/www/html/user/vhost
    chown -R user:client /var/www/html/user/vhost
    chmod -R 750 /var/www/html/user/vhost

Since all users are under the "client" group, I merely add apache to the client group. Here's my client group in /etc/group:

client:500:apache

Then I want my system user 'user' to have access to their webroot within their home directory. So I do this command that only works on linux kernels 2.4.0 and above:

mount --bind /var/www/html/user /home/user/html

That way /home/user/www/vhost is also their webroot. Always be careful about binding directories to one another, cause it may wipe out the contents.

Personally I recommend vsftpd as your ftp server. I configure it with a umask of 027 so that it is impossible for users to create group-writeable or anyone-accessible files in their home directory and webroot(s).