Find the answer to your Linux question:
can someone here go through all the steps of instaling apache mysql php then seting up a phpbb forum on the site. thanks....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Help with phpbb setup

can someone here go through all the steps of instaling apache mysql php then seting up a phpbb forum on the site. thanks.

Heh...I laugh because I am going through those same steps, too. Last night I DL'd apache, mysql, php and perl. I installed them all and setup mysql already. Tonight I will be getting apache configured and setup php and perl...so I might have more information for you then.

Finally, one of my buddies has phpBB setup and wanted me to help him support it, so I will likely be getting that up and running soon after all this other stuff is working on my box.

I do know that you have to create a database and user (with access to that database, as you don't want to use the root account) in mysql before configuring/installing phpBB.

There are tons of tutorials already out there. If you just typed "configuring apache mysql php" in any search engine, you will find plenty to go by.

Just a quick checklist of what I am doing:
    1) install/configure mysql
    2) install/configure apache, test
    3) install php and configure apache to use it, test

That might take you a few hours just doing those three things, depending on your experience. After that:

1) create new mysql database
    2) create new user with access to that database
    3) install/configure phpBB, using the database and user you created

That is my gameplan. And everything has been found using a search engine! If I find some really good articles, I will post the links back here.

Good luck!!!

I would first try google. then maybe try the search in here

you might come up with something like this
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-25289.html

or this

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...hp&btnG=Search

maybe even find this

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/

also alot depends on your distro.

if you are using redhat/fedora/debian use apt and apt-get install php and it should install apache as well, then apt-get install mysql-server

I would start with those steps. once you have that working installing phpbb is very simple, maybe some of these will help

http://www.google.com/search?q=insta...en-US:official

I think you will have to do a little work on your own though, maybe a google or 2

It is amazing how easy it is to find things when you just spend some time searching:)

the first link I gave is a very good tutorial for getting apache and php working

Linux Newbie
    any help on mysql aswell plz. this seems so complicated to me.

Linux Newbie
    also i read somewhere that it has to be compiled with the option
    Code:
     with-mysql
    . i didnt complie it with this option bcos i just used the rpm. shall i ninstall and download the source instead or will it be alright.
    i made a php file with this in:

<?php
    phpinfo();
    ?>

and this is the configure command:
    Code:
     './configure' '--build=i586-mandrake-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr' '--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include' '--libdir=/usr/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--sharedstatedir=/usr/com' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--enable-discard-path' '--disable-force-cgi-redirect' '--enable-shared' '--disable-static' '--disable-debug' '--disable-rpath' '--enable-pic' '--enable-inline-optimization' '--enable-memory-limit' '--with-config-file-path=/etc' '--with-config-file-scan-dir=/etc/php.d' '--with-pear=/usr/share/pear' '--enable-magic-quotes' '--enable-debugger' '--enable-track-vars' '--with-exec-dir=/usr/bin' '--with-versioning' '--with-mod_charset' '--with-regex=php' '--enable-track-vars' '--enable-trans-sid' '--enable-safe-mode' '--enable-ctype' '--enable-ftp' '--with-gettext=/usr' '--enable-posix' '--enable-session' '--enable-sysvsem' '--enable-sysvshm' '--enable-yp' '--with-openssl=/usr' '--without-kerberos' '--with-ttf' '--with-freetype-dir=/usr' '--with-zlib=/usr' '--with-zlib=/usr' '--with-zlib-dir=/usr' '--without-pear'
    is there any thing else i can post here. im not the sort of person who likes to just kep trying stuff out and see when it works.

Linux User
    i'm using the rpm packages that come with redhat CD, so far so good. It works with my phpBB2.0.8 (ya i know it's old, but it's in an trusted environment)

Quote Originally Posted by Viper8896
    im not the sort of person who likes to just kep trying stuff out and see when it works.
    maybe linux isn't for you then. there are some things that need to be discovered for oneself to get a better understanding, like installing things from source.

here is another site since you can't do google for yourself. hopefully it will help. http://www.devside.net/

but if you get bored waiting for replies you can always try www.google.com