Find the answer to your Linux question:
First hello to all, it's been some time since I've been back. Long story short is crap happens. I was not sure which current seciton to put this as it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    flw
    Linux Engineer

Help with getting up to speed on RH ES V3

First hello to all, it's been some time since I've been back. Long story short is crap happens.

I was not sure which current seciton to put this as it covers 3 area's and is a bit long in details.

Ok, this is the linux setup. I/they have a linux RH 7.x used primarily for a email, mysql, squid and dns server along with some other odd and end services. Then another with linux RH 8.x used primarily for httpd and mysql for custom written scripts. Like the 7.x server the 8.x also has some misc. services running.

Now the new servers, at this point in time I'm still out of the loop but they ordered two z series IBM servers with no OS installed but they bought RH ES V3 for them. Through my accounting dept contacts, it doens't appear as thow they bought any other linux softare. It appears the free softare cost $300 per copy and requres a tech @150 per hour to setup, but their is no time for us to train with the replacement apps or get custom docuementation of new setup, no emergency disks after all software is installed and configurations are set.

So my questions to you guys is are there any new and improved apps, preferably management suites contained in the RH ES V3 as management tools. This so there is a single mgt app for email account creation/deletion, create/edit mailing lists and spam/adware/AV scanning?

Also what is the path of least resistance on using a single address book for all users that would work for both typical webmail interface (httpd on email server) and pop3 clients? Manually importing an updated email address list as mentioned above won't work with our users.

Same single point of management for squid, dns and mysql. Webmin is a nice tool but weak and not integrated on my old version.

I would also hope a general config sections would be included for changing gateways, bind addtional ip to single cards, correct other errors/omisisons in general config.

Has RH incorporated any mini-on the fly backups that can be done non-cli? i.e export a working regisrtry, all conf files or /root/home dir?If so does it only work if you the only on the console and no users are attached in anyway?

I'm sure my boss is going to want/insist remote access to his boxes with zero security. So what is the ballpark cost of going SSL (setup labor/RSA invoice and they ongoing cost for keeping the SSL active) for http so no matter what or where he is, there is something security there, since I cannot depend on him performing good practices from another of our remote sites or his home?

This is a lot of questions but I've been out of the loop for awhile and when the $150 guy comes, he's quicky going to start asking me quesitons so any help is appreciated.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Re: Help with getting up to speed on RH ES V3

Quote Originally Posted by flw

So my questions to you guys is are there any new and improved apps, preferably management suites contained in the RH ES V3 as management tools. This so there is a single mgt app for email account creation/deletion, create/edit mailing lists and spam/adware/AV scanning?

Also what is the path of least resistance on using a single address book for all users that would work for both typical webmail interface (httpd on email server) and pop3 clients? Manually importing an updated email address list as mentioned above won't work with our users.

Same single point of management for squid, dns and mysql. Webmin is a nice tool but weak and not integrated on my old version.
    Welcome back I remember some of you older posts.
    I wish I could be more help but I think that Webmin is really your best bet for what you are looking for. Unless someone has any better ideas.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Thanks for you input. I had hoped that in RH ES V3 it had something for of ease of management. Otherwise there seems to be no obvious upside as we are currently using RH 7 with the same old tools.

As I understand things, we won't be using any of the higher end features of RH V3, it will just be on newer/faster hardware, so my boss can write even more poor quality Spaghetti code. The scripts only work sometimes and the poor coding will be somewhat covered up by the speed of the machine, for now. His poor IT work, is a punch line at work. With "oh, Joe wrote that" followed by a grin and the subject is dropped.

Well I guess I'll stop back when I have any additional specific questions.

Thanks,

Dan
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close