Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all, I finally got my sendmail configured. It seems to be working fine except that for some reason I am not able to send mails to my friends at ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

unable to send to aol

Hi all,
    I finally got my sendmail configured. It seems to be working fine except that for some reason I am not able to send mails to my friends at aol. I am using zoneedit for my DNS service. Here is the error message:

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    <LoNeLyBuM@aol.com>
    (reason: 550 REQUESTED ACTION NOT TAKEN: DNS FAILURE)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
    ... while talking to mailin-03.mx.aol.com.:
    >>> MAIL From:<alien@localhost.localdomain>
    <<< 550 REQUESTED ACTION NOT TAKEN: DNS FAILURE
    554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

Any clues???

Linux Guru
    It could be becuase sendmail tries to send mails from localhost.localdomain; the AOL servers might not accept an invalid return address. Try to configure sendmail specify a 'from' domain that is valid from the AOL servers' perspective.

Just Joined!
    Much thanks! I will try that.

Just Joined!
    Can you tell me how to do that? I try many things...
    changing the feature('localhost.localdomain')dnl to my own domain doesn't seem to work. should i try deleting the feature(always_add_domain)dnl ???

Linux Guru
    Try to set the domain name and host name of your entire system to the one that your ISP gives you. Use the host command to perform a reverse lookup on your IP address (if you have more more than one, use the one that is facing the internet), then set your host name and domain name accordingly. Here's an example, if I were to do it on my machine (217.215.27.171 is my IP address on the internet):
    Code:
    $ host 217.215.27.171
    171.27.215.217.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer as6-4-8.rny.s.bonet.se.
    $ su
    Password&#58; 
    # hostname as6-4-8
    # domainname rny.s.bonet.se
    Then restart sendmail.

Just Joined!
    aw man... I can't create a reverse lookup record. I'm using ZoneEdit for my DNS service. And they don't provide an option to create a reverse lookup. Is there no other way? Do I really have to setup my DNS server for this? I don't know much about setting a DNS server... will probably have to put another 2 weeks of reading and researching before running it.

Linux Guru
    You don't have to _create_ a reverse look-up, you just have to perform one. Just type 'host' and your public IP address, and you'll see your public hostname.

Linux Guru
    Your DNS service, btw.? What's that supposed to mean? Do you have a domain name?

Just Joined!
    yes, I have a domain name. i'm running virtual domains on this box.
    sairo.com and ysobi.com (don't ask... not easy to get cool names anymore you know) i'm able to send mails to like yahoo and others fine... it'll say its from joe@sairo.com or tom@ysobi.com but nothing goes to aol.

Linux Guru
    That might be a little bit strange. Could you run ethereal and dump the SMTP connection while sending a test mail to both yahoo and aol? I'm suspecting that it's only the MIME headers that are correct and not the address in the MAIL FROM command, but I'd like to have that confirmed before moving on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast