Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can anyone help me with this error, mysql is down completely and wont come back up again mysql has failed, please contact the sysadmin (result was "/usr/bin/mysqlshow: Can't connect to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mysql error

Can anyone help me with this error, mysql is down completely and wont come back up again

mysql has failed, please contact the sysadmin (result was "/usr/bin/mysqlshow: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)").

Linux Guru
    where did you install mysql?

if you installed it in /usr/local/mysql for example, do the following:

cd /usr/local/mysql
    ./bin/safe_mysqld --user=root

Jason

Just Joined!
    sorry should have explained its on my server, it already had mysql installed.

It was running fine then I ran up2date and it did not like the new kernel, so its been reset and now mysql is not running.

I have tried to restart but no joy, to be honest I can see the installation files for mysql on the server.

Linux Guru
    so its installed then?

if you run the 2 commands i suggested above, it should start the mysql server.

if it does not AFTER RUNNING THOSE 2 COMMANDS, you need to have a look in the logfile to see why the server did not start. (logs usually in /var/lib/mysql/<hostname>.log or sometimes /var/log/mysql/<hostname>.log) depending on distro & configuration.

Jason

Just Joined!
    all sorted at last