Find the answer to your Linux question:
im sure that this has been discussed before but i look alittle and couldnt find it. but is the best distro for a web server and mail server. i am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

distro for web server

im sure that this has been discussed before but i look alittle and couldnt find it.

but is the best distro for a web server and mail server. i am using mandrake and really dont like it all that much. i dont know what it is about it that i dont like but i jst dont. and i dont want to use redhat either i dont know why i jst dont. could any one recommend a different one for webserver.

and one more think is there a good gui for configuring apache.

edit: would open BSD be better then linux for a webserver cause it is more secure or it say it is quite secure. i have a copy of open 2.9 but i cant seem to get it to install i dont know what im doing wrong but it wont work.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Linux Guru
    BSD is generally considered more secure becuase there are less "exploits" available for holes found in the system, which keeps the script-kiddies at bay.

Best distro for a web and mail server?
    Slackware

This server runs slackware - Apache 1.3.27, with PHP4.x and MySQL and Exim as the MTA (all custom complied). Uptime on the box is 22 days atm, but has been over 90 before.

Ive got no complaints as long as you dont mind a bit of work setting up the box, securing it etc.

Jason

Just Joined!
    Open BSD is more secure out of the box but if yo spend time doing what an admin should be doing then any distro will be secure. Slack gets my vote also.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    flw
    Linux Engineer
    Since I am somewhat familar with email and web linux servers I do feel I can throw my 2 cents in.

It doesn't matter. Okay, pickup your jaws I really did say it doesn't matter. Proper configuration after initial install is everything. Then comes the proper configuration of the email and web server app themselves. Then of course then comes firewalls, IDS and routers with the possible DMZ.

Just my 2 cents.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Like flw said...whatever you're more comfortable/knowledgeable with, you can make tight as a drum. Just go to it and keep at it (cuz you can never be to the point where you're done with the security of your box...it's always a work in progress).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

well i was able to find a copy of my webpage i have out on the internet. i emailed my instructor i had for my HTML class i took last year and this is what i created and as soon as she replies to me i will see how i can get the source code and all that info from the server and put it up on www.kylekonline.com. i know i could always jst view source and copy it that way but i would rather get it from the server and download it to my computer but this is for those of you that where wondering about my web page. i dont think there are many if any but i was bored so i thought i would post it for those that are interested.

http://www.ndscs.nodak.edu/~user15/
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!