Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Im looking to redo my file server at home, Ive attemped using suse 9.2 but would like to try a new distro. I want to run apache for local and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best Distro for @ home/file print server

Im looking to redo my file server at home, Ive attemped using suse 9.2 but would like to try a new distro. I want to run apache for local and possibly internet net host, host files and printers accessible by my windows machines. Also with php and mySQL to test out how message boards work etc etc. Also want it to run vncserver so i dont have to connect a monitor. Any suggestions on distros (prefferably completely free)

Linux Enthusiast
    Fedora Core 3: open source/GPL Linux with plenty "server"-tools, like PHP, MySQL, Apache, etc.

CentOS 4.0: created with the source RPM's from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4, also loaded with the same stuff. CentOS is free downloadable, where RHEL is not. CentOS tries to be as close to RHEL as possible.

At home, I have FC3 installed on my server.

Linux User
    I'd go with fedora core 3 as well. I've been using redhat for home servers for years, and hardly ever have problems

Linux Newbie
    i run suse 9.0 enterprise server. it seems to do pretty well.
    Desk TopAMD Semperon 3200+, MSI KT6V mobo, ATI Radeon 64mg DDR, 256 mg 3200, 40 gig HD
    LapTop Toshiba 105s. Pentium 75, 45 meg ram, 500 mg hdd.
    Server Compaq Proliant 166 mhz cpu. 168 meg ram, 2 x 4 gig hdd, 2 x 9 gig hdd

Linux User
    i'd second redhat family (since i'm so used to it :P)

to experience and enjoy cutting edge code, use fedora, however, it's life cycle is very short, fyi, the fedora team is about to drop support for FC2, soon fc3. So, if you're looking for a stable OS and to be supported for 5 years down the road, try CentOS, if RH4 is a burden to you...

Quote Originally Posted by 1badex96
    i run suse 9.0 enterprise server. it seems to do pretty well.
    I'm jus running 9.2 pro and had no probs!
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the suggestion guys. I also want to run a simple ftp server along with this, not sure if that changes anything. I've been working with computers since i was about 13-14 and im 20 now and in school for network engineering, Im good but no pro by far, are all of these distro's mainly straitforward with their control tools (like suse's YaST)? So to my understanding try 1.Redhat9, centOS, Fedora core 3.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight
    So to my understanding try 1.Redhat9, centOS, Fedora core 3.
    I'd skip RH9 if I was you. It's not supported anymore.

For your information: RH9 was succeeded by FC1 (discontinued), FC2 (to be discontinued, currently status "legacy") and FC3 (current). FC4 will come out in June.

if you are willing to take the time to learn some basic ftp settings, then u will be able to setup a proftpd server on suse. i know people that have done this. That's one thing i, personally, think YaST lacks.... an FTP setup.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdousley
    That's one thing i, personally, think YaST lacks.... an FTP setup.
    VERY true.

So you guys would suggest fedora core3, and then possibly migrate to 4 once its released? Can i still run .rpms etc in fedora core? Ive just installed Ubuntu on my laptop, which works nice because its a light distro and my lappy is crap, but its debian based, I'm not so sure I like debian just yet. Anyhow I'll check out FC3 and possibly centOS? Which do you think would prove more reliable/adaptable in the longrun?

My main concern is my server used to be a win server 2k3 box and it just crapped on me one day, NTFS said "nope, I quit". I dont want to go through that again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast