Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mail server without registered domain

i am running redhat 9. i have got a static IP address but i donot have a registered domain on the internet. Can i configure mail server without a registered domain so that 20 window systems in my LAN can access local mail services ? i have implemented NAT & caching only name server. I just want to configure my redhat for postfix so that all the internal users can access a mail application ? Thanx

first of all, if you hook your redhat 9 onto the internet for 24/day, switch to another distro now. Redhat 9 is no longer supported.

second, what kind of email service you're referring to? just local users sending mail to each other (for fun/for internal office) yeap, it's fine without a registered domain name but a simple dns on your redhat box would do. If you're expecting people from all over the world to email you without a registered domain name, they would have to mail you this way:

jkmartha@123.123.123.123 (assuming 123.123.123.123 is your fixed ip)

hope this helps

Just Joined!

mail

Thatswhat i was guessing.....Redhat 9 will no longer support. yeah......just local users sending mail to each other (for fun/for internal office). Only dns .....will it do ? nothing to configure with main.cf ?? what about the front end browser based mail application for the users ? thanx.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    yeah, make your user to recognise the server as internal.mynetwork.com thru window's lmhosts file or dns, and make sendmail to recognise itself as internal.mynetwork.com thru /etc/hosts or local master zone (dns). you don have to mess with .cf file, just the .mc will do, and compile a .cf file using the m4 compiler.

next, install and enable imapd/pop3 (bot imap and pop is included in the imapd rpm package, enable them by editing /etc/xinetd.d/pop3 or imap) restart xinetd and sendmail, done.

good luck.