Find the answer to your Linux question:
After the topic about "which distro to use for a server", I wanted to install CentOS 4 on my Proliant server. Installation worked fine and without problems. After the installation, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Graphical boot freezes

After the topic about "which distro to use for a server", I wanted to install CentOS 4 on my Proliant server. Installation worked fine and without problems. After the installation, it booted without any problem.

I noticed that by default it boots into runlevel 3. Starting X was no problem. After looking around, I quit X and used VIM to set the runlevel in /etc/inittab to 5 so that next boot, it would boot graphically.

But when I reboot the system, during the boot, the system just freezes (the "I'm working" animation freezes too).., I wanted to check tty1, but [ctrl][alt][F1] didn't work, the whole system was as dead as a doornail...

[Edit]
    During the graphical boot, the last "option" it displays is "Red Hat network support" (or something like that, I'm using the Ducth language).
    [/edit]

Rebooting the system and with Grub going to runlevel 3 works. Then, I can even start X...

Any ideas?

For your information, here are the (relevant) specs.

Server: Compaq ProLiant ML350
    Processor: PIII 733 MHz
    Memory: 512MB
    Videocard: ATI Mach64 3D Rage II
    Harddisks: Maxtor 10Gb (IDE) / Compaq 9GB (SCSI) / Compaq 18GB (SCSI)
    CD-Rom: A-Open 52x
    Tapedrive: Compaq SDT-9000

It used to run Fedora Core 3 without any glitch...

Linux Enthusiast
    Additional info:

I've just removed the "Red Hat graphical boot" application so that I could see every line during boot. At the end of the boot, the login prompt appeared and at the moment X would start (inittab is configured for runlevel 5), the following message appeared:

INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 min"
    And after 5 minutes, the same message popups, and again and again...

Have you looked into your rc3.d and rc5.d runlevel directories to see what the differences are in what daemons the two runlevels start?
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    RC3:

S05kudzu / S06cpuspeed / S08iptables / S09idsn / S09pcmcia /
    S10network / S12syslog / S13portmap / S14nfslock / S15mdmonitor /
    S18rpcgssd / S19rpcidmapd / S19rpcsvcgssd / S25netfs / S26apmd /
    S28autofs / S40smartd / S44acpid / S55cups / S55sshd / S56rawdevices /
    S56xinitd / S80sendmail / S85gpm / S90crond / S90xfs / S95anacron /
    S95atd / S97messagebus / S97rhnsd / S98cups-config-daemon /
    S98haldeamon / S99local

RC5:

identical as RC3, plus additional:

S04readahead_early
    S13irqbalance
    S96readahead

Could also be a problem with gdm...I think gdm keeps its log file in /var/gdm. You could try taking a look in there (and posting it if you wish, of course).
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    Could also be a problem with gdm...I think gdm keeps its log file in /var/gdm. You could try taking a look in there (and posting it if you wish, of course).
    Of course I wish to post it here.... At the official website/forum I did not get any respons, nothing, absolutely nothing. So regarding Support, don't expect some sort of reply within 24 hours, 'cause you won't get it.....

Guess what I found out?
    Gdm isn't installed (arghh). During installation, I manually removed it from the "to be installed" selection. So, after installing it and rebooting the machine.... voila, back in business.

In other words, SOLVED!!!!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Redman
    Of course I wish to post it here.... At the official website/forum I did not get any respons, nothing, absolutely nothing. So regarding Support, don't expect some sort of reply within 24 hours, 'cause you won't get it.....

Guess what I found out?
    Gdm isn't installed (arghh). During installation, I manually removed it from the "to be installed" selection. So, after installing it and rebooting the machine.... voila, back in business.

In other words, SOLVED!!!!
    Could you please show me the steps to solve this problem? I have the same problem as yours, and when I start it in single mode, it hangs at Enabling Swap Space. Help.... i need to resolve this urgently.