Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Greetings, I'm trying to use vsftp to upload some webcam images from my Windows box (there the cam is connected) to my Fedora box on my local lan. The Fedora ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FTP 550 error with vsftp

Greetings,

I'm trying to use vsftp to upload some webcam images from my Windows box (there the cam is connected) to my Fedora box on my local lan. The Fedora box runs Apache and, naturally, my web site.

I can connect via Samba but when trying to connect to any directory but my home directory via ftp, I get an error like this:

Opening Directory: /var/www/html/modules/WebCam/data
    Send : CWD
    Recv : 550 Failed to change directory.
    Send : MKD
    Recv : 550 Create directory operation failed.
    Create directory operation failed.

Now, I have permissions on the directory in question. The problem seems to be in the "change directory" part of things. It matters not which directory I specify. The only way I can ftp in is to specify no directory at all at which point I wind up in my home dir.

Any help?

Devin

Linux Newbie
    In order to change to a directory it must first exist, and also have execute permissions. Check your case. If you are trying to change to "/var/www/html/modules/WebCam/data" but it is actually "/var/www/html/modules/webcam/data" or "/var/www/html/modules/WebCam/Data", then you will fail to change into the directory. Case matters.

To make sure this is not a permissions problem, login to the linux system and execute the following command:

chmod 777 /var/www/html/modules/WebCam/data

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentRage
    In order to change to a directory it must first exist, and also have execute permissions. Check your case. If you are trying to change to "/var/www/html/modules/WebCam/data" but it is actually "/var/www/html/modules/webcam/data" or "/var/www/html/modules/WebCam/Data", then you will fail to change into the directory. Case matters.

To make sure this is not a permissions problem, login to the linux system and execute the following command:

chmod 777 /var/www/html/modules/WebCam/data
    The problem is not permissions or case sensitivity. I've got a little more experience than that.

The problem is that I cannot change to ANY directory other than my default home. And I only get to my default home when I specify no directory at all. AND when I get to my home directory, I get no listing.

Curious, no?

Devin

Linux Newbie
    Sounds like we're going to spend quite a bit of time debugging. First off, could you put your vsftpd.conf in a website directory someplace so that I can see it? Also, do you see anything interesting in your vsftpd log file? The logfile may exist in either of the following locations:

/etc/logrotate.d/vsftpd.log
    /var/log/vsftpd.log

Just Joined!
    Sounds like we're going to spend quite a bit of time debugging. First off, could you put your vsftpd.conf in a website directory someplace so that I can see it? Also, do you see anything interesting in your vsftpd log file? The logfile may exist in either of the following locations:

/etc/logrotate.d/vsftpd.log
    /var/log/vsftpd.log
    http://www.devinbaines.ca/temp

Linux Newbie
    should've looked more closely at the logrotate.d file. That's just a kind of script. Do you see a /var/log/vsftpd.log?

Just Joined!
    should've looked more closely at the logrotate.d file. That's just a kind of script. Do you see a /var/log/vsftpd.log?
    Yes, it's a 0 byte file. I stopped vsftpd but am not sure how to get at the log as it remains at 0 bytes.

Linux Newbie
    That's ok, I've been reading more of the vsftpd configuration man page today, and I figure that the log wouldn't have anything useful anyway, unless we turned on debugging or something. What is the user's home directory? If you aren't confortable with answering that question in a public forum, then feel free to pm me.

Just Joined!
    That's ok, I've been reading more of the vsftpd configuration man page today, and I figure that the log wouldn't have anything useful anyway, unless we turned on debugging or something. What is the user's home directory? If you aren't confortable with answering that question in a public forum, then feel free to pm me.
    PM not working for some reason.

Commented out the requested line.

Location of vsftpd.conf: /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf

Linux Newbie
    Actually, I got the PM twice, and a email notification of a PM like 7 times. heh. So anyway, did that help things?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast